Violas

• 6 Replies

Chris & Yasmin

Violas
« on: July 08, 2006, 10:58 »
Instead of dead heading all of them I have left some of my violas to go to seed.  The seed pods have now opened.  Can anyone help me out and let me know what I do so that I have violas next year.  I am also leaving my pansies to go to seed and don't know when these will be ready and what I should do when these are ready.  Can anyone help me?! I am afraid I am probably the youngest on this site (22) and this is my first year of really growing anything on my own.

Thanks

Yasmin
Yasmin & Chris

ang

Violas
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 13:37 »
Last year I collected some seeds from my pansies. I kept the seeds in a cool, dry place over the winter in an envelope and then sowed the seed in spring. I guess you could do the same for the violas. You could find that they don't come back exactly the same as the ones you planted (i think the term is cross pollination, I'm sure someone will come along with more info).

Phoenix

• Experienced Member
Violas
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 01:18 »
its more than likely u wont get the same colour again, (i dont anyway) but ive had sum unusual ones this yr :) its fun do as ang said store them in an envelope and sow them in feb/march and u will have a good showing :)

Ye i think u r the youngest hehehehe i was until u came lol im 23 lol
Like War games then click on the link below - goto forum and ask for me (Black_Stalion)
Ambroid Online Multiplayer War Game

Chris & Yasmin

Violas
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006, 12:26 »
Thanks for your replies.  I went out into the garden this morning and found that all the seeds had gone!! I think the wind has blown them all away.  Oh well - I have saved some.

Phoenix

• Experienced Member
Violas
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 20:19 »
my love in a mist did that last yr, i was gutted as i was going to save the seeds, this yr they have germinated in the border and theres LOADS of plants appearing even now so it may happen for u!

cathbaddeley

Violas
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 14:21 »
I had violas in tubs in the front garden last year, unknown to me (new gardener) they self seeded and know i have them between the cracks in the path near the door, between the lavender in the borders in the front garden. Please dont think that the wind had blown them away and you wont seen them again - they will probably be putting in an appearance next year in the most unexpected places!!

Cath

James

• Experienced Member
Violas
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 19:42 »
Don't worry, you'll have as many as you could ask for growing next year.  With the bit of wet we've had recently they're probably germinating already.  Let them reach a reasonable size 1-2 inches and then transplant them as they'll be horribly close together.  You'll never need to plant another pansy in your life.  They might flower this winter, or you might have to wait until spring.

xx
Violas ?

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post May 19, 2021, 11:39
by mrs bouquet
thumbup
pansys v violas

Started by ricky on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post September 21, 2014, 12:12
by snowdrops
xx
Frozen Violas

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post February 20, 2021, 11:15
by Goosegirl
xx
Pansies/Violas

Started by Willow_Warren on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post July 24, 2014, 13:05
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 38 queries.