What do you think of this Hen House?

• 11 Replies

gsc

• Experienced Member
What do you think of this Hen House?
« on: June 12, 2010, 09:00 »
D: 88cm (34.5") x W: 228cm (90") x H: 101cm (40")
With pneumatic wheel base.
No frills, just good honest quality. Solid, hard wearing and practical. The tough pneumatic wheels means this model is easily moved. 50mm x 25mm redwood framing and 16mm redwood T&G shiplap treated with preservative.
All joints are screwed and not nailed. All fittings are black japanned
Floor: hardwood ply. The Onduline roof is vented
Coop internal dimensions excluding nest boxes: Depth 85cm (33.5"), Width 164cm (64.5").

Large enough for 20 - 25 average size chickens. 
(allegedly ;))

I am prepared to make minor alterations but it will still be £300 approx. with delivery.
I have 4 or 5 smaller coops with runs for use as quarantine, breeding pens etc. but need 2 bigger coops for laying birds and table birds.

Craig69

• Experienced Member
  • Kinder - Cadbury & Little One ~ Newton Abbot
    • Jellyfish Window Cleaning
Re: What do you think of this Hen House?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 09:17 »
Looks good, but think you could probably make that yourself for less than half the price you have been quoted.

gsc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 09:21 »
Yeah but I am no good with my hands and hubby is even worse.  A bit further down the road, when I am more sure of what I want, I have a chap that is very good and I will get some built.  At the moment it would probabaly work out dearer to pay some-one to do it.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 09:37 »
you are supposed to allow 12" of perching space per bird so doubt you would get 20 in that
Staffies are softer than you think.

Craig69

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 09:48 »
Don't be put off making something yourself because of you DIY skills!!
If you go take a look at one & look at how it's constucted you will see it's not that complicated.

I might be wrong but i thought it was better to have the perches above the nesting boxes to stop them sleeping in them?

The pictures posted have them just an inch or so lower than the boxes.

gsc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 09:56 »
I was thinking to redo the perches to be honest.  Maybe several on a slant like one of the coops I have coming (one of the better quality ones :wub:)

Trisha

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 10:34 »
I like the idea of it being on wheels but I wouldnt feel comfortable with 20 plus chooks in it. It also seems a bit pricey too for what it is.  I have a roosting perch the same size as that one and I only have 4, with room for more if need be.  I also wouldnt have the roosting perch so low, neither would I have it above the nest boxes.  I have mine at the other side of the nest boxes with a removeable shelf below it.  Works good for my girls  :)

gsc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 10:40 »
Looks like I'm gonna have to get something made :)

Still waiting for a bleep bleep answer from teh bleep bleep planners about what size makes a coop need planning permission.

Craig69

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 13:16 »
Not sure if there's an more up to date version, but i think different councils have different views on this.

Rules governing outbuildings apply to sheds, greenhouses and garages as well as other ancillary garden buildings… and many other kinds of structure for a purpose incidental to the enjoyment of the dwellinghouse. From 1 October 2008 outbuildings will be considered to be permitted development, not needing planning permission, subject to the following limits and conditions:

* No outbuilding forward of the principal elevation fronting a highway.
* Outbuildings and garages to be single storey with maximum eaves height of 2.5 metres and maximum overall height of four metres with a dual pitched roof or three metres for any other roof.
* Maximum height 2.5 metres within two metres of a boundary.
* No verandas, balconies or raised platforms.
* More than half the area of land around the “original house”* would be covered by additions or other buildings.
* In National Parks, the Broads, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty and World Heritage Sites the maximum area to be covered by buildings, enclosures, containers and pools more than 20 metres from house to be limited to 10 square metres.
* On designated land buildings, enclosures, containers and pools at the side of properties will require planning permission.
* Within the curtilage of listed buildings any outbuilding will require planning permission.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 13:28 »
Personally I don't like perches low down on the floor like that.  there's no room for the birds to walk around, and you should allow at least 1 sq foot of floor space per bird, but more if they have to spend any length of time in there in inclement weather.

I know you said your DIY skills are not up to much gsc, but wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a little 6x4ft shed, put in a nest box, even if you can't make one, I know people who use cardboard boxes, cat litter trays, anything, although you can buy nest boxes too, and it would be easy to make a perch, and a pophole for them.

My old 6x4 shed is now 10x4 and never has more than 20 in it.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 13:29 by GrannieAnnie »

gsc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 13:52 »
You may be right Grannie Annie - depends on what the wretched planners decide is allowed.

However we won't get into that or this thread will deteriorate into a rant.

We have a couple that do sheds cheaply to order including erecting and treating so I could baybe give them a spec to work to.

When I get back from Hol I am splitting the far acre into 6 smaller areas with gates.  Will then subdivide with nets if needed.

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2010, 14:57 »
Its a lovely house, but for that price i wouldnt be doing any alterations on it,  i think you would be better off as grannie annie has said and invest in a shed which arnt that expensive, ive seen some in B&Q that were very well priced, that way you can set the inside out to how you want rather than paying £300 and then do alterations.   nicky
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

xx
RAT in the hen house

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 21, 2008, 13:04
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
A New Hen House

Started by GaryH on The Hen House

35 Replies
Last post July 22, 2012, 14:12
by Walfre
xx
my run and house

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 04, 2008, 16:53
by karlooben
xx
Why won't my hen fly up into its house?

Started by Catk on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 10, 2011, 06:11
by DD.

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 29 queries.