What have i done wrong????

• 17 Replies

TeaPots

Re: What have i done wrong????
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2010, 21:17 »
Can I just mention the risks with candling?.... When you candle the eggs, you should just shine the candler in really quickly, looking for veins from around 7 days,not dark patches or movement as yet, then at around 18 days (or when you prefer to do the final check..just no later than the the day you stop turning) you are looking for the contents to be too dark to see through, with a clearly visible air pocket at the 'blunt end. If you continue to hold the candler against the egg for more than a few seconds, eg waiting to see if you can see movement, you can harm the chick...not to mention the effect of the eggs being out of the incie while you do it.

The purpose of candling is really just to remove the 'clear' infertile eggs, as these have been known to burst, spreading 'bad egg' and bacteria all over remaining eggs, and into the incubator itself.  Frequent checking of the eggs can really have a detrimental effect on the embryos...try to resist the temptation,  twice should be be plenty.

Hope this is useful info for you, it is offered to help you, as the same advice was given to me, and I think it sounds logical, and have abided by it myself since. Good luck  :D

Nails

• Experienced Member
    • www.justgiving.com/Donna-Moon
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2010, 21:42 »
Hi Teapots
thank you for that, i do try and only candle twice, (learnt from past mistakes) when i first started was candling every other day!
the reason these have been candled again, is as you have probably read, we have had 2 power cuts since these eggs went in the inncy and on sunday i threw 11 goose eggs 6 ish duck eggs and chook eggs away as you could clearly see the watery liquid inside the egg, no way these eggs were going to end up hatching, so now i hopefully have the eggs that i think are ok in the inncy and no bad ones.
Kate recmmended a book which i got straight on the internet and brought and will hopefully get some usefuladvice from that as well as from here. x
Dont count ya chickens till they hatch!!!!!

TeaPots

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2010, 12:55 »
good luck...happy hatching  :D

xx
what am I doing wrong????

Started by matilda duck on The Hen House

34 Replies
Last post October 16, 2008, 13:36
by matilda duck
xx
What's wrong with my hen?

Started by Lost in France on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post October 09, 2007, 18:45
by Lost in France
xx
Help! What have I done wrong????

Started by SuzyandtheBs on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 14, 2010, 21:28
by joyfull
xx
Help Is something wrong?

Started by Angus on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 29, 2009, 10:36
by Angus

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 28 queries.