Is she too old to lay?

• 3 Replies

violet

• Experienced Member
Is she too old to lay?
« on: August 19, 2008, 11:23 »
One of the hens I was given earlier in the year is probably a couple of years old, she is a black rock....she was laying almost every day, lovely big eggs and then suddenly she stopped....it is over a month? maybe two now since she stopped, not gradually, just one day an egg and since then nothing.  she sometimes goes into the nest box for a while, but nothing.  she is very fit and active, looks healthy and is eating well, not moulting?????

Is it just an age thing?

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
Is she too old to lay?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 12:54 »
My 3 year old is laying 4-5 eggs per week. She is an ex-bat. Don't give up yet. She might start again.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Is she too old to lay?
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 21:23 »
She might lay again.  Sounds like she's having a rest  :D

violet

• Experienced Member
Is she too old to lay?
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 08:54 »
The lady who gave us our practice henssaid oh bring her back and you can have another!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOO she is one of the family now, I couldn't send Louisa away.

I hope the bantam will start laying when she has finished looking after her babies... then the two youngsters who must be almost 20 weeks might start laying and of course the new babies?  I hope at least one of them is a girl!  so hopefully quite a few eggs.  Not forgetting the dducks who are both laying most days!

Ah but when will they stop for the winter?  Do they stop alltogether or just not many eggs?

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 28 queries.