• 5 Replies

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
Keep Damaging Onions!
« on: April 13, 2010, 15:11 »
 :wacko:

Just like last year every time I try to hoe around my onion sets I seem to do more damage than good.
 I use a push hoe, dutch type I think, and would appreciate any suggestions for a better hoe... Thanks
No-one has a monopoly of knowledge, nor wisdom

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
Re: Keep Damaging Onions!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 16:13 »
I use a hand held hoe (as opposed to one on the end of a long handle) so I have much more control over it but I still only hoe to within an inch of the onions, and hand weed directly around them. It's very fiddly but causes less damage.
Rachael

sonic

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 17:12 »
You can buy a hand held onion hoe that let's you get up close and personal but then you're working on your knees.  I've never had a problem with a push hoe.  How aggressively are you weeding these onions?

wowplantz

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 17:14 »
I think the problem is using a push type hoe amongst rows of plants, especially between the plants, cos you're always pushing the blade towards the plant.  I prefer a stirrup hoe which you pull towards u, so you pull it away from the plants.  Also you can get up right close to the plant and pull away, so there's no need to bend down and do hand weeding if you're careful.

Haven't seen stirrup hoes around since I bought mine years ago but you may find them on ebay if not in the shops

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 17:34 »
lol perhaps I am hoeing quite aggressively but I have a lot of onions on the go and like to get on with it. Hand held hoes would do the trick but I have a nee injury that prevents me from kneeling down... Maybe i'll have a look at stirup hoes. Thanks all  :)

PAULW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 13:04 »
Mulch with straw keeps the weeds down and the moisture in

Page created in 0.43 seconds with 35 queries.