help plz

• 8 Replies

dash

help plz
« on: March 13, 2008, 09:44 »
ive just got an alotment and it is completly bare and i am a complte bigginer and dont know where to start so my problem is do i need to clear all of the space i have on my alotment our just the space im going to use to grow in. i intend to put a shed and a green house on my alotment and have paths around the plantig beds do i need to clear these areas where the shed/green house and paths are going to go all advise would be helpfull

peterjf

new plot
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 10:14 »
hi there CLEAR THE WHOLE PLOT, GIVE YOURSELF A PLAIN CANVAS TO WORK WITH , FOOTPATHS 1ST THEN SHED AND GREENHOUSE, DIG THE PLOT OVER AND APPLY MANURE , MAYBE PUT IN A FEW ROWS OF POTATOES, POTATOES ARE GREAT FOR BREAKING UP THE SOIL , AND YOUGET A CROP TO PAY FOR YOUR LABOUR ,JUST DONT OVER DO IT , ITS NOT A RACE, MAYBE DO A FEW SEPERATE BEDS , GOOD LUCK , pete in hull

noshed

help plz
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 10:32 »
Hi Dash
I would divide it up into 4' wide beds with narrow paths in between. Then dig each bed at a time - you will make easy progress that way. (Use some sticks and string to mark them out). Run them N-S if you can.
But don't panic, there's plenty of time.
Get a few books out of the library and read the information stuff on this site.
But ask all the questions you like and take it steady - it's not a race!
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
help plz
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 14:13 »
It all depends on how much time you have.  If time is tight just clear the space you can work on immediately and cover the rest with something to suppress the weeds.  My favourite way to clear a patch is to skim the grass off the top and stack it in a corner grass down) and cover with some black polythene for  a year to 18 months to rot down.  It will turn into fabulous compost.  If the patch you have cleared has few perennial weeds than you have a choice of how to continue: from no dig to raised beds or age old digging and adding compost or manure.  But if you have nasty perennial weeds like maretail, couch grass or bindweed you would be best advised to try to remove as much root as possible, before planting.

Lots of different advice coming along soon - I'm certain  :wink:

robbobnbill

help plz
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 23:05 »
I just started my plot the other week and my plan is do a bit at a time, im going to aim for a few potatoes and a few onions this year, anything else is a bonus, next year when i have had another 52 weekends is when i get really into it and start properly, i think planning and getting the soil right is key, that's my plan, ease off this year so next year will be great!! nice fertile soil YUM!
"A word to the wise ain't necessary, it's the stupid ones who need the advice"  - Bill Cosby

dash

help plz
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 11:41 »
thanks for all your advice il get some books and just do a bit at a time

dash

help plz
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 16:12 »
me again with another question the alotment i have is next to a fishing pond will this afect my alotment in any way?

peterjf

pond
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 17:01 »
hi , the only way a pond will effect yourt plot is to better it , frogs frogs frogs , the frogs eat slugs slugs slugs, what could be better , oh yeah the birds will be attracted  GO FOR IT , YIPPEE :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

muntjac

help plz
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 22:33 »
good advice peterjf ,,, but could you use lower case when chatting i cant hear if you shout  :wink:  :)  aggys shouting as well :roll:
still alive /............

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 39 queries.