What I did in the Greenhouse or Polytunnel today

• 405 Replies

snowdrops

Re: What I did in the Greenhouse or Polytunnel today
« Reply #120 on: June 03, 2014, 18:46 »
I've got 6 spare plants :) having potted up 8  :ohmy:  what on earth I'm going to do with them all if they fruit like crazy, cucumber soup anyone?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #121 on: June 04, 2014, 14:10 »
yester day I took the first cucumber from gh around 10 inch and ate it straight away  :D it was yummy
diggity dig dig

Lardman

« Reply #122 on: June 05, 2014, 16:36 »
Kicked out the strawbs today - so many covered in botrytis and it had started to spread to the tomatoes.  :( I had tried really hard this year to keep a good air flow around them but it just doesn't seem to help.

Gave all the toms a short back and sides removing furry leaves and donated all the bolted salads to the chickens.

Im really not happy with the growth on the tomatoes this year - they're all scrunched up and curled almost like amniowhatshisface but without the bleaching.   :wacko:  The two melon plants look very sick so they'll be heading for the compost at the weekend and none of the 20 french beans have germinated.   >:(

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #123 on: June 06, 2014, 20:38 »
Potted up the cue/butternuts (they all got a bit mixed up- it's going to be a big surprise for me!) & achona.  Re sowed late sowing brassicas as the rotten compost I had just wasn't working and had brought a new bag. 

Did a tidy up and a bit of a 'final places' audit and a move around :nowink: nope, there's just not enough room!

adri123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #124 on: June 08, 2014, 16:46 »
Pulled couple of bolted lettuce and replaced with new plants.  Watered everything and misted cukes and toms...need to check on whether misting is right for toms.  Not sure.

Sowed more spinach.  Ate some strawbs....yummy!!!

Steveharford

« Reply #125 on: June 08, 2014, 16:56 »
What variety spinach is suitable to sow now Adri ? I'd like to get some in

adri123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #126 on: June 08, 2014, 17:29 »
I put in Medina.  Last few seeds in the pack.  It tastes fantastic too much better than the perpetual.

If it's going in a PT you should get a crop I think.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #127 on: June 08, 2014, 17:50 »
Yesterday we put in two late cues, hope its not too late.

Today I opened the door talked nicely to my beautiful beetroot. Smiled at the carrots and beamed at the toms.

Well done boys and girls escaped my lips and then I carried on weeding outside, very happy with my freecycle glass house as Florence calls it.

Steveharford

« Reply #128 on: June 08, 2014, 17:51 »
No room inside. Chocka with toms and a few chillies. They would have to go outdoors. Still time to grow but I haven't found one that doesn't bolt yet. Even my early stuff has bolted.

Eblana

« Reply #129 on: June 08, 2014, 17:54 »
Harvested my first earlies from the polytunnel and put in Toms and Aubs to replace them.

In the greenhouse I potted on all my young plants and took the staging out so that I can plant some tomatoes into the border.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #130 on: June 08, 2014, 18:10 »
Yesterday picked up the grafted cukes 'Passandra' from the post office (missed them on Friday :mad:) and in the evening before work, set them into their final pots.

I have 3 in the back of the greenhouse and 3 outside against the back wall of the house (the bricks really hold the heat from the day until late in the evening - and I actually succeeded with outdoor cukes in that spot last year). ;)

adri123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #131 on: June 08, 2014, 19:28 »
Our first Passandra is about ready for harvesting.  Looks about 14cm or so now.  Packet says 15-20cm so we'll wait a few days more and pick...

Can't wait.  Last time we grew cukes was years ago in a greenhouse I built for my dad.

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #132 on: June 08, 2014, 23:23 »
Had a good clear out, so that the removable potting shed could be removed, to make way for the growing toms underneath.
All of the stuff that's still not big enough to go out on the plot was moved to the cold frame, so the indoor cues could be potted into their final positions.

Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #133 on: June 09, 2014, 11:19 »
Pulled couple of bolted lettuce and replaced with new plants.  Watered everything and misted cukes and toms...need to check on whether misting is right for toms.  Not sure.

Some people mist tomato flowers to help with setting, but it shouldn't be necessary - an occasional tap of the stems is usually enough.

Misting tomato leaves is a bad idea - it will only increase the chances of blight or other fungal spores germinating and taking hold.
You should try to keep tomato leaves as dry as possible at all times, including when watering.

+ + + +

Tomatoes mostly looking quite good in my GH, with the exception of the Inca plum plants which are looking quite sickly at the moment, which is a bit hard to fathom as they've been a trouble-free 'banker' for the past few years.

Not killed my cukes yet, although they are only at the first true leaf stage and have only just been transplanted.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Lardman

« Reply #134 on: June 09, 2014, 20:35 »
Well tomorrow is 'C' Day. That's when all the spare plants I've grown and lovingly nurtured for the past 5 months head off to the compost bin.   :nowink:

In January next year can someone please remind me I only need.

Bottom Greenhouse
10 Tomatoes
2 Cukes
3 Peppers

Top Greenhouse
6 Tomatoes
6 Chilli Peppers

xx
Re: in the Polytunnel and Greenhouse

Started by Whatalottie on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

3 Replies
Last post February 10, 2013, 12:01
by Green man
xx
Polytunnel vs greenhouse.

Started by Kate and her Ducks on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

9 Replies
Last post November 23, 2012, 00:54
by John
xx
Greenhouse V Polytunnel?

Started by fallen angel on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

13 Replies
Last post February 21, 2016, 19:02
by BabbyAnn
xx
Polytunnel or Greenhouse

Started by ches on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post July 02, 2019, 08:38
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 56 queries.