Fox Attacks Warning. It's that time of year again.

• 497 Replies

blackbelt

• Homesteading back to basics simple living life
Re: Fox Attacks Warning. It's that time of year again.
« Reply #345 on: October 21, 2011, 19:26 »
Hello I'm new to this forum so please forgive me if I'm stepping on toes. Here on the homestead I have several game cameras about, just so I can keep an eye out for pest. Are you sure it's a fox getting in? If so you might want to live trap it before it gets into your stock. It's a whole lot easier to do before they build and make it a habit. Just thought I'd share that with you. Threw the years here on the homestead we learned a few things.

HelenMckenzie

• Our Dolly & Ginger
« Reply #346 on: October 25, 2011, 23:22 »
sorry for your lost but an electric fence is really the best deterrent or a very secure run which is covered in strong mesh and either has a skirt of mesh all around it or is dug down about 12" to prevent a fox from digging down.
Hi, I just wondered what you mean by skirt of mesh all around it?? as it's not really very practical at all for us to dig the mesh down and we have been trying to think of what to do to make the run safer as at the moment the mesh sits on the top of the ground and we have put round wood posts along the floor, but part of the wall of the run is next doors garden fence, which also worries me......

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #347 on: October 27, 2011, 08:57 »
Why are people are so anti fox?  He didn't ask to be born - to be constantly hungry and  intelligent and cunning.  Then he finds that people display delicious looking meaty hens tantalisinlgy gettable which they don't even need (supermarket down the road).  We are the bad guys for tempting them so much.  Then people moan that hunting is illegal!
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
« Reply #348 on: October 27, 2011, 09:06 »
By a skirt, if you run weld mesh along the ground (going away from your coop) it will stop the fox digging.

The mesh must be securely fastened to the bottom of the coop (ideally the same piece of mesh that’s running on the side of the coop)

And nerdle, i would say most people are not "anti fox" in a murderous way, they are just doing what’s natural.  The trick is to make it not worth their while to try through use of electric fences etc...

Not many people would seek to kill a fox, as really it serves no purpose in the long run as a new fox will soon take over its territory.  As they are not communal, killing wont educate the local population to stay out of your garden, giving one a good jolt of electricity and letting it scurry away with its tail between its legs might though!
I hate signatures but love irony

HelenMckenzie

• Our Dolly & Ginger
« Reply #349 on: October 27, 2011, 12:01 »
hi lewjam, thanks for explaining, a good and simple idea  :)

Casey76

« Reply #350 on: October 27, 2011, 14:39 »
Nerdle, unfortunately until you experience the heartbreak of a predator attack I don't think you can truely comprehend the feelings.

I try my best to keep my girls (and boys) safe, but over the past 3 years I have been attacked time and time again, despite as many counter measures as I can afford.  However knowing that, and the fact that I live in a rural setting, next to a stream, and with woodland close by I know there will be predators about.

I don't resent the foxes or martens for killing my birds for food - even if it upsets/frustrates me, but I do get upset when my birds are killed and then left... it seems such a waste!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #351 on: October 28, 2011, 10:57 »
like Casey I live next to water and rural, the main preditor we get is mink (and I have suffered 2 such attacks). I don't blame the mink but do blame the people who let them out into our countryside where they have done untold damage to our native animals - the water vole is a good example  :(.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Maeve

« Reply #352 on: October 30, 2011, 21:17 »
On Friday afternoon at about 3.30 I lost my two lovely RIR girls to a young cub that has been visiting our garden.  Koko and Wonky Tail (the Black Rock and Welsummer) were standing under one of the fruit trees near the henhouse, looking petrified.  The attack had clearly just happened as the decapitated bodies were still very warm -I think my going out when I suddenly could not see the hens from the kitchen, must have disturbed the fox.
I am very sad and also angry with myself as I never usually leave then out on their own -not even for a few minutes.  On this one occasion I broke my own rule and did so.  I was busy in the kitchen and thought they would be safe for a short while, especially as I could see them from where I was working.  I have learned a very painful lesson.
My two remaining birds were not their usual selves yesterday but seem much better today. 
I know foxes are now part of the urban environment.  However there seem to be so many in our area (North London) now.   What steps, if any, are we entitled to take in order to reduce numbers?  We would welcome advice from members.

bygrace

• Experienced Member
« Reply #353 on: October 31, 2011, 15:18 »
Oh Maeve, so sorry to hear about this. You must have been devastated to find your girls like that.
I do hope that you and your remaining two feel better soon.
BG

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #354 on: October 31, 2011, 16:48 »
Regarding digging mesh into the ground to prevent foxes tunnelling under the fence..

I found you can get 100 9" tent pegs from Ebay for about £15 and banged into the ground at the base of the fence at 3" intervals it would be far less work, much cheaper and still prevent tunnelling hopefully - does anyone else think so?

Kate

joyfull

« Reply #355 on: November 01, 2011, 09:08 »
personally I would still go with the digging in of the mesh - 3" gaps allows for a digging fox to get a paw in and move them also they will be a lot easier to pull out than mesh which is all the way around - just removing one will create a 6" gap - 2 a 9" gap plenty big enough for a hungry fox  :(

HelenMckenzie

• Our Dolly & Ginger
« Reply #356 on: November 01, 2011, 11:31 »
Hi all,
I was looking at doing the skirt around the edge of our run, how long does the skirt need to be to be safe?

joyfull

« Reply #357 on: November 01, 2011, 11:36 »
Foxes are clever so I would suggest at least 8 inches which I think is about what Omlet have on their runs.

penninehillbilly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #358 on: November 12, 2011, 22:01 »
I've recently bought an electric fence off ebay, via a retailer not auction (£32 delivered) it would still need wire and posts, but I got lengths of wood and bought some insulators, wire was £8 from ebay. a few strands of wire round would soon sting its nose.

mummyeagle

« Reply #359 on: November 14, 2011, 11:25 »
started keeping a couple of hens this summer. we live in a semi-rural area but close to urban areas. woods next to us and we have large garden. fox killed one hen in broad daylight about a month after i got them while they were free roaming in gareden. he didnt manage to get corpse over fence and other hen wasnt attacked-not sure why. this was in August. decided to get another 2 and be very careful not to leave them in garden if we were out and also omly if bright day ( the attack happened on wet dull day). anyway the other day was beautiful, clear and sunny and all 3 were happily wandering around garden where i could see them. then while i was havind lunch in conservatory i looked out and saw the tell-tale pile of feathers on the lawn, with 2 hens looking disturbed. ran out and the fox had one of hens in corner- dropped it when i shouted and jumped over wall. got to hen as it was in death throes, neck broken. this was at 1pm! this fox is bold. any help or advice gratefully received as i would like to be able to let them continue ranging in garden

xx
That time year for Veg

Started by pepsi100 on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post October 14, 2013, 09:37
by madcat
xx
FOX ALERT - the time of year

Started by jo40 on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post August 05, 2009, 23:55
by hillfooter
xx
does anyone get to see their hens this time of year?

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post November 23, 2010, 13:26
by TeaPots
xx
Moulting! at this time of year

Started by anitaws on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 29, 2009, 16:19
by LittleRedHen

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 37 queries.