My pigs have moved from the field to the freezer!!!!

• 4 Replies

Daftodil

My pigs have moved from the field to the freezer!!!!
« on: December 18, 2009, 10:13 »
As a first timer to keeping pigs - could we take them to the abbatoir or not was the big question. Well we got our answer at the beginning of December - Yes. It was a sad day, but they were so good and did not show us up in front of the "farmers" and were so relaxed (and sleepy). Everyone there was very freindly and we all looked at everyone elses and asked what breeds and crosses are yours, how old are they etc. I have to say ours were a little larger than most there, but one "older" farmers wife said that was how she would like them if she was keeping them for herself, but the market dictates a smaller pig (less fat) for selling on. We collected them a few days later (just cut in half) and again the abbatoir staff were very helpful and put them in very large plastic bags before loading them in to the back of the car.
I had persuaded my brother, an ex butcher, to come down for the weekend and prepare them for the freezer. We now have joints, chops, bellypork, sausages, burgers in the freezer. I am also making bacon and hams. We have had one of the smaller hams and it was very tasty, sausages and chops  also delicious AND with brilliant crackling. :happy:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: My pigs have moved from the field to the freezer!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 10:17 »
sounds yummy - just lurve crackling  :D :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 12:15 »
There is nothing that beats home produced pork.  Lucky you having an ex butcher in the family.
Cheese makes everything better.

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 12:34 »
Well done Daftodil.  We raise pigs too, it's Very rewarding isn't it!  :tongue2:

You are lucky to have a butcher in the family, ours isn't as prompt as we would like but it's a bit of hobson's choice where we live.  We plan to do a pig butchery  course and maybe do our own next time.

I trust you will be getting some more and doing it again?  We plan to get our next weaners in March/April.
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

Daftodil

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 15:47 »
Yes, I am very lucky. We, well me anyway are hoping to get our next couple toward the end of April. My OH is still very sad  :mellow:- but they were definately HIS girls. I can  recommend the Traditional sausage mix from www.sausagemaking.org and from the sample I have had this morning the "smoked dry cure" mix to make bacon with seems to be a success. It is very quiet down in their field though, we are going to give their home to the chickens for the next couple of months once we have made it a little more secure so that should bring it back to life down there. Will let you know what we get in the spring.

xx
We are getting some pigs.

Started by debih on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post May 16, 2010, 09:12
by gsc
xx
G Pigs

Started by spottymint on Pets without Feathers

6 Replies
Last post December 14, 2010, 19:17
by daisy1990
xx
Pigs. Pigs everywhere!!!

Started by scabs on Pets without Feathers

35 Replies
Last post January 23, 2012, 09:15
by shetan
xx
Pigs on allotments?...

Started by Arnfields on Pets without Feathers

14 Replies
Last post November 22, 2010, 22:12
by CluckyChicken

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 38 queries.