Old ladies...signs of old age in my girls? :(

• 3 Replies

Carla

• Experienced Member
Old ladies...signs of old age in my girls? :(
« on: September 20, 2011, 21:07 »
Hi everyone. Was just wondering what you'd describe as signs of old age in your girls (and boys). Nelly, my ex-batt, who I've had just over a year is fading away, and I think it's just old age, but I've nothing to compare it to and there's hardly anything when I google. She's not ill in any way, just slowly losing weight and slowing down, not really bothered about food, pecks at bits and pieces, still with the group, no temperature, wormed and been treated with baytril, not fluffed up and tail up. he just seems...well...old? Thanks xx
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
Re: Old ladies...signs of old age in my girls? :(
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 23:09 »
Oh poor darling Nelly!  When you think what a hard life a battery hen has had, and how many eggs she has laid in her life, it's not surprising she is slowing down!

'Old age' in an ex-batt is likely to happen much earlier than if she had been a different breed or had a different start in life.

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 08:03 »
Agree with Lindeggs. Just think of the  freedom you have provided for her in her remaining time. Usually they do not get that option. :) :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 09:32 »
Poor Nell, her comb is slightly tinged with blue this morning, looks like her huge heart is giving in :( I'm just thankful she had over a year of being spoilt silly and having the time of her life. She's just eaten some flapjack and had a peck at the layers, and then drank LOADS so she's still battling, but she's obviously not right. Her face has looked old (might sound silly) for a while now and she's usually at the heart of all the chaos, but is much happier to just wander along with the rest now. Poor old gal, but rather her go of natural causes than how she could have gone 14 months ago xx Thanks both xx

xx
Signs of an old hen

Started by Thingy on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 24, 2010, 16:11
by evie2
xx
Signs of first egg?

Started by lorraine46 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 28, 2007, 14:46
by lorraine46
xx
Signs of ageing?

Started by helens-hens on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 30, 2012, 22:39
by grinling
xx
Recovery signs

Started by WR1 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 20, 2009, 13:32
by LittleRedHen

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 37 queries.