Smelly water

• 10 Replies

Remy

• Experienced Member
Smelly water
« on: June 01, 2010, 16:46 »
Hi,

The water in my waterbud smells like a stagnant pond. I recon it might be because of the leaves & other organic material that found their way in there.

Will that harm my plants if I water them with it? Is there anything I can do to purify the water & make it less smelly? Organic solutions would be a bonus.

Remy

Spana

Re: Smelly water
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 17:02 »
D'you know, i was thinking about this in the night ::)

When i do the drinkers for the poultry I add apple cider vinegar and that helps to keep them free from green as well as being good for the hens. I was just wondering if it would do the same in a water butt without harming the plants.  Dont know how much you would need to make a difference but dont think just a glug would hurt the plants. :unsure:
Does anyone know :wub:

m1ckz

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 17:03 »
mine is the same,hasnt done any harm yet, so i guess its ok

smallholder2010

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 17:18 »
i would say its fine the smell off my home brewed furtilser lol  is anoth  to make anyone gag in a 5 mins walk away.   
it has

old leafs
stingers
all the weeds over the year
old veg from home
sand
chicken poo
hamster poo
and what ever takes a dive in

i strain it every 6 months and water every thing with it . i find my local alotment seems to be quiet quiet for 2/3 days after i put it on.

the smell is blooming terible.  but  god i get brilliant veg and fruit every year . i have never had blite on potatoes and get lovely veg and grows so fast and well.

so i dout if a bit of old water in a butt will harm as never done me no harm ....

solway cropper

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 22:59 »
Put a lid on it to stop the leaves getting in.

pumpkinpatch

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 23:03 »
it should be fine. When i make my nettle fertalizer boy oh boy does it stink. It will test your strength and sort the men from the mice alright. i wouldnt be worried about it.

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 03:43 »
I was thinking the same thing - we throw horrific smelling comfrey tea around the plants so a bit of mildly stinky water is pure bonus for the plant  :D Even if there's a bit of vinegar in the plant water, that will be good for acid loving plants or soil that's gone a bit too alkaline.

Remy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 07:13 »
Put a lid on it to stop the leaves getting in.

Thanks everyone. There is a lid on it but I also got tree branches hanging over the shed with small leave that manage to go down the gutter hole at the top of the water bud.

Christo

• Spring has Sprung!
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 13:32 »
Glad to here these responses. It's something that was troubling me previously. Someone told me that the bacteria that causes the smell is actually good for the soil! Wasn't sure whether to believe this but it seems to be doing ok....... for now

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 16:47 »
Smallholder - what's the sand for? Sounds an amazing brew to me - no pot blight??? Spana - I have hens too - why is apple cider vinegar good for them???
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Spana

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 17:06 »
- why is apple cider vinegar good for them???

Its supposed to help keep worms at bay.  Its said to be good for them at times of stress, like moulting or being moved  and lots of other things as well which i cant remember but did know when I started keeping hens years ago but have forgotten over the years. ::) :lol: :lol: Also they really like it ::) I give it  in their drinkers one week in four. 

xx
Smelly Melly

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 26, 2007, 01:40
by Trillium
xx
smelly compost

Started by chrissie B on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post July 02, 2012, 15:34
by chrissie B
clip
Smelly Spuds

Started by rookie1 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 09, 2013, 18:51
by sunshineband
xx
Have smelly feet caused this?!

Started by Stratts on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 31, 2012, 12:24
by Stratts

Page created in 0.437 seconds with 34 queries.