my new plot

• 6 Replies

nickson71

• My blog
my new plot
« on: November 26, 2009, 12:10 »
Hi all

Just thought I'd share a couple of picture of my new plot that we got a couple of weeks back

from the front

and from the back

As you can see it not in to bad a condition compared to some of the plot I've seen online and it came with a small shed that leaks and a small plastic green house.

far after gaining a collection of tools from the family me and the other half have managed to dig out the small oak tree that was in the middle of the plot, fix the panels in the green house (after removing the collection of dead tomato plants), tidy the shed, pulled up all the timber marking out the old bed and accorinding to the new plan marked out the paths and bed using some yellow string and canes. Would have liked to get more done but the rain stopped us doing any digging.

So the plot currently looks like this

Hoping to get more done this weekend as the forcast is looking better on Sunday and Monday (which I've booked off work). The plan is now to start digging the bed one at a time and removing the weeds and on some bed we'll be adding manure on top, we get manure delivered to the site on a regular basis. In addition to this do some more straightening out with the aim to be ready for next March.

bigben

Re: my new plot
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 12:17 »
It looks pretty good already- a bit of work over the winter and you will be all set for the spring. I am jealous!  :D

binner

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 15:59 »
looks far better than mine did, it was all grass lol
first year grower

PAH48

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 17:33 »
As you have done...when I started  3-4 yr back ..marked out the beds....

however ..slowly and surely I'm cutting the paths backdown to about 12  to 18 inch..

just to gain a little more growing area....after all all you need to do occassionally is run a wheelbarrow down them...
most of the time I've found ...so long as you can walk down them ..all you need is well a ... ..bucket to weed  as and when?

and don't make the beds to wide...so long as you can reach the middle from both sides ...thats the most important thing...

lenght of beds..OKay you might..quickly /once in while be tempted to walk over them..

Believe me...you will sooon learn not tooo.....
best of luck....cheers

Sandrav

• Sandra Valentine
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 19:07 »
Good luck with your new plot.

I am just putting raised beds onto my plot. I have some that are 10' x 4', some that are 8' x 4 ' and some that are 4' x 4' (herbs etc).

Hope you get good weather
x

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 19:55 »
Great to have the photos - thanks for sharing them and taking the time to post them.  :)

Plot looks good.... I have just one path through the middle of my 8 rod plot. I guess I am too mean and/or too disorganised to have specific beds. I want to use as much of the space for growing as I can. I just plant where the mood takes me and find having paths restricts the size / length for each crop. My soil is fairly light so, even if I do wander up and down it is not too compacted. If it's been pouring I used boards to walk on.

My half-plot is altogether different being mainly clay it is heavy and I avoid walking on it if I can. I work from the edges and have a few paths. Where it has been walked on (old paths from previous occupier) it is like concrete!!  :tongue2:

Adding compost and (if you have it) manure helps to lighten the soil...as you know. A few years of doing that and the soil is althogether different.

Enjoy the exercise and the fresh-air.
Good luck  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

IanYORK

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 21:05 »
Looks really good to me  8)   I have just started a new plot and it is taking considerable effort to remove old carpet - soil is great though :')
Now then, I am a very pleasant lad from York.  I have a decent half plot on Holgate allotments.

xx
my plot - new growers plot thanks to advice from you all

Started by pookey on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2007, 19:23
by brucesgirl
xx
My First Plot - Plot 21 is confirmed

Started by SCassin on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 12, 2013, 15:04
by Yorkie
xx
OUR PLOT

Started by finleyfreyaseth on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post September 23, 2011, 15:28
by finleyfreyaseth
xx
New Plot Help

Started by Jacquelyn1401 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 18, 2017, 23:43
by juvenal

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 35 queries.