job hunting

• 13 Replies

grinling

job hunting
« on: November 13, 2020, 22:43 »
Applied for a local job, haven't worked in 16 years as my family reminds me. Indeed has improved their site, but question of how many years as warehouse manager being 0 is ominous. job is for admin. The manager is lovely, but job going though an agency.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: job hunting
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 22:50 »
Fingers crossed you get the job Grinling.

It is not all about experience.  Being the right kind of person counts for a lot. It sounds like you got on well with the manager, so that has to be good  :)

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 23:35 »
I recently returned to work after a near ten year abscence, it's tricky getting your foot back in the door, but it will work out. Good luck!

GraciesGran

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2020, 07:04 »
Good luck, you'll be fine.  After I retired I had no intention of working again but  was offered a day a week admin, it was for 3 months to cover sick leave.  I'm still there after 6 years and also do a day a week for one of his mates. 

The most important thing is if you don't know ask! 

jezza

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2020, 11:53 »
Hello i wish i could get some help some times, I was supposed to have a school leaver helping out with a strimming job (2 strimmers so social distancing)on Wednesday  got a text first thing Wednsday morning saying his dad thought the job was going to be too physical for him so wasn't coming,  jezza

MrsPea

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2020, 14:51 »
Hello i wish i could get some help some times, I was supposed to have a school leaver helping out with a strimming job (2 strimmers so social distancing)on Wednesday  got a text first thing Wednsday morning saying his dad thought the job was going to be too physical for him so wasn't coming,  jezza

Kids of today dont know what work is  :mad:
I Love my green house

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2020, 15:28 »
Not entirely true MrsPea, My mate's lad helps me out with odd jobs from time to time and he's a proper grafter and likes to be paid in videogame currencies! It's less the kids and more the parents who look down on physical graft as work for the poorly educated. Hence so many kids being shoved out to university without consideration for the trades, despite the fact that they can be very financially rewarding and not to mention you don't acquire tens of thousands in student debts.

jezza

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2020, 17:01 »
Hello if your asked for qualifications tell them that you have been to the university of life ,best qualification for any job   jezza

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2020, 17:39 »
Hello if your asked for qualifications tell them that you have been to the university of life ,best qualification for any job   jezza

But sadly some people don’t graduate with a pass mark  :(

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2020, 19:31 »

But sadly some people don’t graduate with a pass mark  :(

Hmm I’ve come across lots of them :mad:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2020, 19:57 »
Good luck grinling!

I was job searching about 5 years ago, and am employed now.

As you go about looking for work, remember to have "more than one line in the water" at a time.  More applications submitted will give you more opportunities and choices.

Since it has been a while, don't let the prospect of accepting a less-than-perfect job dissuade you from applying for a particular job.  That less-than-perfect job could give you some needed experience, and may expose you to other job opportunities down the road.  If you really like the manager at the place you mentioned, but don't get the job listed through the agency, keep in contact with that manger, let her/him know how interested you still are in working at that office/warehouse, and ask them to keep you in mind for other possible jobs. The next job they offer might not be listed with an agency.

If you have a network of friends, family, former co-workers etc. that may know employers in your field, let them know you are job hunting.  In my experience, job opportunities often come through such networks.

Good luck, have patience, perseverance will pay off!
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

grinling

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2020, 18:37 »
Thank you for your lovely replies.
There is not a huge choice around here, but when speaking to Paul, the manager, he asked if I had used a stock checker application, said no but had googled it and I assume you check to make sure people are putting in the correct info. Would be a good way to pre empty what people would need, he said no but they are looking into that.
I will let you all know what happens.

Growster...

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2020, 07:14 »
The very best of luck, Grinling!

Just as an aside, I Googled some software websites in your business, and there's an awful lot of info out there - some of it for free! Apart from finding out a whole lot about the business, you'll easily pick up the 'jargon', as well, which would count a lot in your future discussions with the firm!

One tip I learned years ago, is to take a file of your own notes (possibly from the websites above) to any meeting with a prospective employer. It doesn't matter what you take, maybe some background stuff using the firm's website or headed paper, also just a lot of questions etc., and use a simple wheeze of looking at them occasionally, even writing a few notes while you're talking! This makes you more of an equal in the eyes of the interviewer, because she/he can easily see that you've made the effort to understand the job, more than some (most) of the other applicants!

I hope this week works out well for you!

grinling

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2020, 21:10 »
This job is through an agency rather than the manager. I was speaking to him as we saw someone looking over the metal at the back of the site,we were walking Cookie along a private road next to it. Turned out he was legit, but he was pleased that we keep an eye out.

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 54 queries.