Best bedding to use????

• 5 Replies

char

Best bedding to use????
« on: July 04, 2011, 21:29 »
Hi can someone tell me please what to use it the house and in the nest box........ Im a complete newbie and have had news that our hens we are having have just hatched!!!!!! Aaaaaaaahhhhh :D Ive read that hemcore is good but where to use that in the house or nestbox or both.....
Please help ::)

evie2

Re: Best bedding to use????
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 21:53 »
Hello char, welcome to the wonderful world of hen keeping :D

We use Bliss, it's the same as Hemcore and comes as Eucalyptus or Citronella scented.  We use it throughout the coop and on the run, we also use it for the rabbits.  It's much better than wood shavings and bio degrades quicker, it also burns better :D

Now, don't forget, we need picture of the chicks when they arrive so we can ooo and aah over them :D
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

char

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 22:00 »
Do they use this to make their nests too???? Because its new to us we are having 4 maybe 1 or 2 more (hopefully all hens lol). Im doing this adventure for my 2 children (myself too) aged 5 and 8, they are really excited. Only 2 chicks have hatched (last thurs) at the mo but coz weve not got any hens to rear them our friend is hatching and rearing them till they are old enough to be away from mum....

Thankyou for the reply...

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 22:03 »
I use hemcore throughout my coops - in their nest boxes and on the floor of the coops, wonderful stuff  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Sideshoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 07:07 »
i use straw in the nest boxes (its what we were given when we got the hens) and some dust free shavings for the hen house floor, it seems to absorb the poo better and easier to clean out.

kegs

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 10:18 »
I use hemcore on the floor of the run.  In each nest box I place a couple of sheets of newspaper with some hemcore and shredded newspaper on top, then I place another layer of paper, hemcore and shredded paper on top of that!  That way if they ever poo in the nest box I can just lift out one complete layer and place the whole thing in the compost bin and I have my fresh layer underneath (a good time-saver when you're in a rush).

xx
bedding for hens

Started by daisy1990 on Chicken Chat

13 Replies
Last post June 21, 2010, 19:26
by daisy1990

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 35 queries.