Prolapse

• 7 Replies

Knight Family

Prolapse
« on: July 07, 2010, 18:40 »
Just came home and found one of our girls had a prolapse, VERY Freightening. Luckerly we had the haynes chicken book that recomended that she should be put upside down and assist the natural movement of the prolapse back in.

Done this is there any other recomendation on what to do?

P.S. she is separated as the others were peckingat her, is it just a case of wait and see???  :(
Graham = 2x Border collie Dogs, 2x Cats, 1x Wife, 2x Kids, 2x Hamsters and now 10x chickens.

Casey76

Re: Prolapse
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 19:27 »
It seems to be the year for prolapses, unfortunately.

Some information from another post:

Hi unfortunately prolapses are very serious, and often have a bad prognosis.

How long has she had the prolapse?  If it has been days rather than hours you need to see a vet.  However if it is new there are several things you can do.

Bring her into the house, and examine the area carefully.  Hopefully the prolapse will be moist and free of injury.  If this is the case then you can smother the area in Preparation H (yes, the haemorrhoid cream!) and put her in a small box withwater and grain.  The box must be DARK.  At this point you need to prevent your hen from laying, and a dark, draft free environment, is the simplest solution.

You can keep her in the box for a couple of days, taking her out twice a day to check the area for infection.

If any infection develops, or indeed, if the prolapse is dry or is injured at the time of examination it is a vet job, and again, may have a poor prognosis.

Maccbean

• Experienced Member
    • My Bigger Picture Photo Gifts
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 20:32 »
My girl had a prolapse two weeks ago.  After much research and advice I gave her a good bum wash, covered the prolapse liberally in preparation H, pushed it back in and held the vent closed for five minutes.  I kept her in a crate in the house overnight with some food and water.  I covered her bum in gentian violet and put her back in the run with the others the next day.  She recovered and has laid three eggs (albeit thin shelled) since.  Don't panic too much.  Just keep an eye on her, and if it won't go back in or stay in, talk to your vet.

Good luck.

Knight Family

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 22:12 »
Well she is still with us and looking well, we will see how the night goes and tomorrow.

Knight Family

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 07:29 »
Well she was happy this morning when I left, the OH wants to leave her in the garage for a couple more days. I think its best until she lays an egg (if she ever does again).

Maccbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 08:44 »
I would just warn not to keep her away from the flock for too long otherwise bullying might be the next problem you deal with. 

Knight Family

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 12:55 »
I would just warn not to keep her away from the flock for too long otherwise bullying might be the next problem you deal with. 

Yep told the wife that but will have to see what happens....

Maccbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 13:24 »
How's your girl doing now?

xx
Help! Prolapse

Started by Maccbean on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post June 28, 2010, 16:56
by Pretty Chick
xx
Prolapse

Started by Beano on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 26, 2009, 12:26
by Beano
xx
Help - Prolapse

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 23, 2008, 12:14
by Jellyhead
xx
prolapse in hen

Started by darcyhen on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 19, 2010, 22:56
by darcyhen

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 36 queries.