sweetcorn

• 25 Replies

twhincup

• http://www.crazyhorsetrading.com
sweetcorn
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2006, 11:39 »
thanks noshed, i had visions of having to empty my pots on to a tray and leaving them out in the sun :0

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
sweetcorn
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2006, 22:00 »
I planted mine in toilet roll tubes as suggested on here, so when I planted them tubes and all, there was no root disturbance.  OH said they still look sick, but they are gradually getting greener.  I think its where we have had so much rain this past month.  They've only been out of the greenhouse 3 weeks.

oggy

sweetcorn
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2006, 15:38 »
Hi all,

Must be lucky ...........Mrs Oggy acheived 75 % germination doing nothing out of the ordinary, 15 now planted out, purchased another 5, because they looked good, all are outside and green.

How tall do they grow ? and any advice on pollenation.

oggy

comic_muse

sweetcorn
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2006, 15:51 »
They really need to be planted in a 'block.....ie 20 plants....4 x 5...or 5 x 4, & they'll self pollinate, the wind does that for you, but if they're in a row & the prevailing wind is across the row, the pollen won't get distributed.  By planting in a block, they have a chance all round.  Height wise, they can get pretty tall....5 '....taller with some varieties, previous advice is bang on re. distances, but get them well 'set' in the ground, earth them up a bit if needs be once tehy're growing well, because they can get knocked a bout a bit by the wind.  I reckon on two cobs per plant, although some earlier have suggested only one....more is an exception where I am.
The other thing to watch out for, if you're growing one of the super sweet varieties is that you dont plant by someone elses non SS ( or that the ones you buy in aren't because although you'll still get cobs, you wont get the ful benefit of the SS breeding if they x-pollinate.
......straight lines are for tidy minded people.....

Phoenix

• Experienced Member
sweetcorn
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2006, 19:43 »
Ok tried ur method of sowing sweetcorn between 2 pieces of kitchen roll........................ FAB every single seed germinated in 2 DAYS lol ive put them in pots now will plant them out when im bak off hols :) Thanks guys!!
Like War games then click on the link below - goto forum and ask for me (Black_Stalion)
Ambroid Online Multiplayer War Game

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
sweetcorn
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2006, 21:52 »
Quote from: "Phoenix"
Ok tried ur method of sowing sweetcorn between 2 pieces of kitchen roll........................ FAB every single seed germinated in 2 DAYS lol ive put them in pots now will plant them out when im bak off hols :) Thanks guys!!

It's magic isn't it? I did it for the first time this year and was really impressed.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

noshed

sweetcorn
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2006, 16:39 »
I'm trying beans up the strongest-looking plants - I'll report on progress...
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

comic_muse

sweetcorn
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2006, 21:46 »
Has anyone got experience of growing beans up Sweet Corn ?  I do a bit of intercropping.....usually with cell grown X3 Leeks because they can be used in all manner of ways & go in between various plants, lettuce, carrots etc. without one interfering with the other.  I'd have thought 'twining' beans, ie. runners & climbing French might have strangled the corn ?.....the beans would be in front of the Corn growth wise ? & is the Corn, even come August / September tall enough to do a proper job of support or do you just let the beans trail about ?

stompy

sweetcorn
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2006, 22:10 »
I like the idea of that, would like to hear more. :shock:

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
sweetcorn
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2006, 09:02 »
The theory is known as 'The Three Sisters' and was developed by American Indians in the south west. This was a hot and arid region and the system maximised yield for them in those circumstances.
The corn was helped by the extra nitrogen provided by the beans and gave support to the beans and shade to the squash grown between the rows.
This minimised water loss from the squash and really used the land both vertically as well as horizontally.  With the inputs of dung and water they managed to get foodstuff from a pretty harsh environment.

I have tried this myself and it works but we don't have the same weather conditions. I found that the squash didn't do too well (it wasn't sunny enough?) and I couldn't get inbetween the rows to pick the beans. Now I just put a few climbing French beans on the outside - runner beans are too vigerous.

noshed

sweetcorn
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2006, 10:29 »
That's lucky - I've just put french beans round the outside. I'll try a couple of squash just for the hell of it. You never know in the costa del Walthamstow.

xx
Sweetcorn

Started by kezlou on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 18, 2008, 08:42
by Sadgit
xx
Sweetcorn in...

Started by slow_worm on Grow Your Own

42 Replies
Last post May 12, 2011, 09:02
by bigben
question
Sweetcorn

Started by Give it a go on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post March 11, 2011, 16:52
by JayG
xx
What sweetcorn please?

Started by Daisygirl on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post November 05, 2012, 08:37
by MyAchingBack

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 39 queries.