Sweetcorn Rustlers

• 7 Replies

Enfield Glen

• Experienced Member
  • Borough champion 12 times
Sweetcorn Rustlers
« on: July 25, 2022, 09:10 »
Last year they at least waited for the cobs to mature, I assume the heat wave drove them to attack them them earlier this year.

Not sure what I can do to keep them out.
sweetcorn.png

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Sweetcorn Rustlers
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2022, 10:56 »
What is eating them?  We have problems with muntjac on our site, but a simple netting fence keeps them out.  Badgers are another story and need very secure defences.

Debz

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2022, 11:27 »
Last year we built a cage with chicken wire to protect ours as they had been decimated by either squirrels or rats (not sure which) the previous year.  Did the job though and hopefully will work again this year.

Enfield Glen

• Experienced Member
  • Borough champion 12 times
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 11:38 »
Main suspects are Squirrels as I spotted one last year attacking some on another plot. It cant be dear as as its not rural enough.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2022, 15:54 »
It wasn’t human pests was it ?  :ohmy:

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2022, 19:17 »
Main suspects are Squirrels as I spotted one last year attacking some on another plot. It cant be dear as as its not rural enough.

Your deer must have higher standards than ours. 

Ours would be all over a site like that, in broad daylight! But, the tell-tale sign as to whether it's deer, or isn't, is the hoof prints.  Unless the soil is rock-like, you can almost always spot the tracks they leave behind.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2022, 19:10 »
I have houses much closer than that on 2 sides of my small plot and muntjac are quite happy to wander across it to attack crops.

The whole site is surrounded by houses and is not large.  We have a very old cemetery nearby that is about the same size and I think that is where they live.  People in the neighbouring houses often say they see them in gardens.  I occasionally see them in daylight on the allotment site, but they generally charge off the moment they hear the gate being unlocked.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2022, 22:07 »
I have houses much closer than that on 2 sides of my small plot and muntjac are quite happy to wander across it to attack crops.

The whole site is surrounded by houses and is not large.  We have a very old cemetery nearby that is about the same size and I think that is where they live.  People in the neighbouring houses often say they see them in gardens.  I occasionally see them in daylight on the allotment site, but they generally charge off the moment they hear the gate being unlocked.

I had to go outside yesterday to shoo away a large specimen of one of our whitetail deer does, trying to figure out how to go through my newly-reinforced fence.  The doe appeared to be a fat 120 to 140 pounds. I walked toward her, waiving my arms at her before she took the hint an left (looking quite annoyed).

xx
Sweetcorn Rustlers

Started by Enfield Glen on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 22, 2021, 18:39
by goose
xx
sweetcorn

Started by terry d on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 10, 2009, 06:15
by DD.
xx
sweetcorn

Started by willnbirdie on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 03, 2010, 09:38
by Fisherman
xx
sweetcorn

Started by clym tc on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 14, 2020, 09:20
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.287 seconds with 44 queries.