The hunt for unleaded.

• 10 Replies

Lardman

The hunt for unleaded.
« on: September 24, 2021, 07:41 »
I'm down to the red now and have been looking for 2 days, hopefully 3 times a charm. 

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: The hunt for unleaded.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 11:52 »
My local Tossco filling station was closed on Tuesday, but reopened Wednesday, albeit with no premium unleaded (which I don't use.)

Not great inside the store either - quite a few completely empty shelves, mainly due to the driver shortage apparently, but also almost no carbonated drinks of any description. (Crazy world - too much CO2 in the atmosphere causing climate change, but not enough available on the ground to keep our food safe and drinks fizzy!  ::) :wacko:)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 13:53 »
Filled up at my local shell station at just after 9.00 am. For once road closure helped me as this station is on a main road into Basingstoke but the road is closed for work on a railway bridge. I remember the chaos of the 1970s when one was limited to a very small amount of petrol from a station if you were a regular. Fortunately I had bought a Fiat 500 so it was mega economical compared to the gas guzzlers of the time. Not sure I would fit in one now I’m afraid. :D
Keep digging

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 14:17 »
Perhaps crises like this might make people ultimately realise there are other modes of transport, and you don't always need a two tonne machine to do the equivalent of a 15 minute walk.

Much as I'd love to agree - public transport or walking isn't always an option it certainly isn't for me.  Yesterday my usual filling station had only diesel, today it was closed. I managed to put half a tank in at another station after 30 minutes wait, but by the time I left the forecourt things were getting pretty busy as people were just filing up in case. Appearance can be deceiving but it wasn't young professionals or the trades either, it appeared to me that they were more likely to be use the car twice a day at 8am and 3pm.

There are a number of contributing factors to the current situation but panic buying has be one of the major ones, just as it was with loo roll during the first lockdown.

GraciesGran

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 14:37 »
Massive queue as ASDA blocking the main road.

I had assumed that with so many people working from home the panic would not be too bad.  How wrong could I be.

wighty

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2021, 17:39 »
At 8am this morning we were halted in our journey to work by the queue to Morrisons.  The report on Island Echo says there are queues at all petrol stations on the Island.  Tesco has been shut most of this last week.   Fortunately we only filled the van up on Monday so should be okay for a while. We used to have a direct fuel line from Fawley to the Island (Cowes) but that got closed five years ago to be        'updated' and which never got done. All fuel to the Island now has to be tankered across.

MrsPea

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2021, 18:31 »
 :D We filled up Wednesday so were ok  :) Not realizeing what was going to happen
I Love my green house

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2021, 11:14 »
There are a number of contributing factors to the current situation but panic buying has be one of the major ones, just as it was with loo roll during the first lockdown.

I totally agree. It isn’t a crisis until the media start running with the story and generate a panic  ::)

The lorry driver shortage is affecting other countries, not just us, so there are issues, but we can minimise these by keeping our heads.  Switching off the news when they start the hysterical doom mongering will probably help a fair bit :lol:

Lardman

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2021, 11:32 »
A quick check of the papers will show people filling container after container in the boot of their cars today :( thousands of miles worth for a modern car.  I don't get the FOMO. of it I really don't, even the media has made clear it's just a distribution issue as everyone is still working on pandemic demand level JIT systems.  Who'd have though the week that furlough ends there'd be a rush for fuel so people could go back to work...  ::)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 15:33 by Lardman »

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2021, 15:41 »
It's always the same with anything panicky-wise with the media.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

wighty

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2021, 18:09 »
Paul went to a garage in Newport and filled up with diesel, one person in front of him, Lake's Morrisons was a different story apparently with long queues clogging up the roundabout. Tesco's is still closed.

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 52 queries.