Suggestions for a 'productive' barrier to plant

• 2 Replies

Turnba

Suggestions for a 'productive' barrier to plant
« on: November 05, 2012, 02:42 »
Hi all

I'm looking for inspiration for something to plant as a barrier on the allotment. I have an old fence that I should take down before it falls down and want to replace it with something that I can use to get another crop. It's between my fruit cage and the main path for the site, and right next to the skip :-/ It's south-facing and there is a 2-3 foot drop from the main path to my plot with a brick wall lining it (so whatever is planted will get a bit of a baking if it's hot). The top bricks come level with the path.

I thought about putting up metal posts with wire or chicken wire running between them and planting something that I can train across this as a barrier for the stuff that gets blown off the skip and ends up on my plot. Apples maybe? But I don't know how much growth there'll be to fill in the gaps, plus I don't want to wait years and years. Allotments aren't pretty but I don't really want just a wall of chickenwire!

Am I asking too much? :-P If it's not a giver of fruit I'd be happy with something nice to look at. Any suggestions?

Michael.

BabbyAnn

Re: Suggestions for a 'productive' barrier to plant
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 10:58 »
when I read the description of metal posts with wire across, my first thought was raspberries (or maybe blackberries, tayberries or loganberries or whatever other hybrid varieties there are at the moment) - raspberries are an almost same year fruit producer, some of the hybrids may take a little longer to get going but worth it.

Other than that, I'm not too sure.

sion01

Re: Suggestions for a 'productive' barrier to plant
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 15:37 »
I'd second raspberries.Blackcurrants might fit the bill too without the expence and trouble of posts and wiresand no thorns which is a big advantage

xx
Suggestions on what to plant/sow now.

Started by leeky on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post August 11, 2007, 10:26
by love-my-plot
xx
early onions harvested what to plant next suggestions please

Started by Sir Growalot on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 11, 2008, 18:26
by Bombers
xx
Lark or Swift: which is the most productive?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 08, 2010, 10:57
by DD.
xx
Slug and Snail barrier

Started by Barry Lewis on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 01, 2014, 19:22
by DD.

Page created in 0.372 seconds with 35 queries.