Duck housing

• 5 Replies

ynysmonron

Duck housing
« on: March 18, 2010, 10:09 »
Can anyone please tell me how much floor space is needed to house 8 Ducks?

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
Re: Duck housing
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 10:19 »
What size ducks do you have/are you looking at having? If they are heavy breeds they need up to 3 sq ft per bird (so Aylesbury, Appleyard, Cayuga etc) a light duck breed will only need between about 1 sq ft per bird (Abacot Ranger, Call, Miniture Appleyard etc) and the mid-sized birds somewhere in between (Runner, Campbell, Magpie etc) so it all depends on what birds you are having. I have 2 Aylesbury drakes, a Cayuga, a Blue Swedish, an Appleyard and a Khaki Campbell and they are in a house with 20 sq ft space and they have plenty of room plus space I would say for 2 more in the future. However, the more space you give them the happier they are and the less squabbles they will get into  :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 10:27 »
and they have plenty of room plus space I would say for 2 more in the future.

So what you getting to fill that space then Cara?   ???  :lol: :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 10:32 »
Well, had Eve decided to remain broody the lovely Runner eggs I bought would have been put under her  ::) I think I will just be good and stick with what I have now though as I'm sure later in the year Eve will be desperate to sit again (and as soon as I buy eggs she will change her mind.... :lol:). I'm going to give the eggs to the chap over the road as one of his girls is broody so at least they wont be wasted!

Forgot to add that although mine have all the recommended space they practically sleep on top of each other each night - ducks don't have much when it comes to common sense  :tongue2:

ynysmonron

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 10:44 »
Hi Cara, I have got a pair of Aylesbury and 3 pair of Cambell and they live in a self build house 5ft x4ft which I had for six but since I  added the extra 2, egg production has gone from 2/3 a day to nill and i was thinking it might be lack of floor space???? Cheers Ron.

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 11:02 »
They should be okay with that space, but it may be an idea to provide an alternate nesting area. I have a dog kennel that I fill with hemcore and they choose to lay in there as opposed to the duck house (as do the chickens  ::) ). The one problem with duck housing is it gets filthy quickly so perhaps that is putting them off  ??? Is it also possible they have found their own little hideaway to lay in? The addition of new birds always alters things a little as well so give them all time to settle together and hopefully laying will restart  :)

xx
1 aylesbury duck with 1 runner duck

Started by thedalaisheep on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 17, 2011, 10:29
by joyfull
xx
Hen housing

Started by pmw on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 20, 2008, 18:58
by pmw
xx
hen housing

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post March 10, 2009, 21:20
by raeburg
xx
coop housing

Started by lynn12 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 07, 2016, 12:16
by Willow_Warren

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 38 queries.