What can you hear from your allotment?

• 11 Replies

Longshanks

What can you hear from your allotment?
« on: November 22, 2017, 16:39 »
I suppose not everybody has a plot where all they can hear is the chirping of birds and spades slicing through earth.

Here in east London, I have the pleasure of our wonderful London Underground, which ironically I have to look up at, and also the big boys trains on the C2C line. I have yet to witness trains on all four lines (eastbound and westbound) go by together, but it's been close. They never seem as frequent when I wait at the station for them! The exciting bit is waiting for the 12:30 freight train.

When it is really quiet on the plot, there's the distant humming of the A13, but that's usually drowned out by ambulances screaming up the local road to their emergency or on the way back to the nearby hospital. Just across that said road is the council's depot, where it always sounds like a lorry is reversing as there's constant beeping. Then there's occasionally the local idiots on their mopeds over the nearby recreation ground. I hardly notice the children screaming in the nearby housing estate, the planes out of City Airport or the men digging up the road.

I've just got a nice pair of headphones that will link via bluetooth to my phone, so that I can play a sounds of nature soundtrack.

Happy days

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: What can you hear from your allotment?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 19:44 »
I don't hear a lot of road noise, as I live on a footpath without direct road access. However the allotments and my garden back on to the Ashford to Canterbury railway line, one each way every 30 minutes.
I'm so used to it, that I hardly notice it any more, except when we get a lovely steam train - ch ch, ch ch, ch ch, woo hoo, woo hoo! I'm like a child again waving to the driver  :D

It doesn't seem to bother the wildlife at all, so plenty of birdsong and foxes and squirrels in the garden  :)

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 21:09 »
I can often hear noises from the small industrial estate that backs on the site, dogs barking, a child crying & screaming & her mother screaming at her louder. A few overhead noises, birds,aeroplanes.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

grinling

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 21:10 »
When I had an allotment in Harlow I could hear traffic and low commercial airplanes.
After moving house and gaining large gardens I get bird song, tractor if working and Typhoons. Much improved.

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 21:18 »
I'm one of the lucky ones wind in the trees, birds chirping.
the dog barking at the chickens.
sheep bleating, cows bawling.
the odd car going up the far road.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 23:26 »
Very quiet at our site. There's a railway line running parallel to the site but the trains only go past once an hour or so.
Just the birds chirping in the nearby copse and the odd occasional hacking cough from one of the old boys on a neighbouring plot.

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 14:12 »
I hear sheep, geese (tame and wild), swans, hens rosey, bird song, the occasional clip-clop of horses, small aircraft flying overhead and leaves rustling in the wind; however I also hear farm vehicles clattering and thundering down the lane and gales howling through the overhead wires, but that's about all.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 16:36 »
I hear United Utilities constucton noise  >:(
I also hear the odd small aircraft.
The most common noise is the wife moaning that I am on the plot  >:( (plot is at the back of garden)

The best noise is the chucks chuckling away asking for worms to be chuck in  ;)
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Christine

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 18:23 »
The racing pigeons over the hedge - they mutter quite contentedly to themselves. The hens over another hedge advertising that they've laid an egg. The trains down the hill. Silly events going on at the castle at the end of the road - once a year they have the re-enactors in to do the siege of the castle which can be loud. Passing traffic, people from the houses in the road saying hello.

rowlandwells

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 18:22 »
gardening on a village allotments means its very quiet only for the church bells ringing out the hour we have a couple of noisy woodpeckers

maybe hear the M1 motorway  if the winds in the rite direction not very often  :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 21:14 »
We have the uplifting sound of birdsong and passers by on the river, the more distant sound of the goods trains across the field, punctuated at regular intervals by what sounds like an icecream van, but it actually the "tea break" siren on the nearby industrial estate... hilarious in the depths of Winter  :lol: :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2017, 22:54 »
Near the racecourse so if I'm daft enough to be on the plot during the race meets, I can hear the roar of the crowd.

If the wind's in the right direction, the steam trains on their excursions.

During summer, the sound of cricket matches.

Lots of birds.

And the occasional light aircraft / microlight / very (!!!) slightly less subtle Army Chinook 'copters (or the police copter searching for someone if they've gone in the river  :ohmy: )
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
New allotment t&cs

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

22 Replies
Last post January 09, 2020, 11:42
by mumofstig
xx
new to me allotment

Started by Debz on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post April 06, 2018, 19:39
by snowdrops
xx
Giving up my allotment.

Started by miggs on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post September 24, 2018, 16:48
by Growster...
xx
Allotment despots

Started by Pimento on Chatting on the Plot

53 Replies
Last post January 23, 2022, 15:26
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 41 queries.