froglet feast

• 13 Replies

Laydies

froglet feast
« on: May 03, 2010, 19:56 »
Bank Holiday and I'm gardening, like most of you! - and my Laydies were 'helping' - I'm fairly new to keeping them - we've had them about 2 months now..   and seeing them freerange at close quarters was wonderful but I was truly amazed at what they ate..blimey! Henavie tucked into a poor froglet that didn't quite hop it in time! down in one!!  :Pfollowed by a lovely huge wriggly worm..  :blink:I never thought she would get that down, but she did!   Laycey displayed a fondness for snails - shell aswell,  :wacko:followed by a nice pupae and Cazpee, well she seems to prefer bugs....   :tongue2: and I had thought, watching them from kitchen sink duties  that they were only pecking at the grass and perhaps enjoyed the odd ant!   We did find a rather large frog who had decided that if he kept really, really still, he may just survive... they looked at it with one beady eye, then  with a quick turn of the head, spyed it with the other eye..  decided it was too big to eat, so just walked over it instead....   gardening has never been so much fun! :D
however... there is a serious question in here...   this all seems a good natural diet to me.. but can anyone see any problems with them eating whatever they find?   

Elcie

Re: froglet feast
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 20:18 »
Hi Laydies, they sound like they have had a brilliant day!  I might be wrong but I think the biggest concern would be that they can get worms from eating slugs/snails so make sure that you worm them regularly.

Laydies

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 21:08 »
yes, I've heard I need to worm them...  I know that they arrived 'ready wormed' but I think it needs doing every 6 months? 
I'll seach the site - I think just about every topic is covered on here somewhere.......

JCK

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 22:16 »
Hi there, glad your girls are having so much fun. Ours are free range as well (and we are really experiened - we have had ours for four months rather than your two!!!!!). They eat allsorts - including frogs and worms.

The breeder from whom we bought them recomended that we treat them for worms every month with Vermex - a few drops in their water three days running at the beginning of each month.

Aside from these responsibilities, aren't they still fun to have around?

Jane

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 07:38 »
Verm-x doesn't work on all types of worms so really you should use something like flubenvet which does. If your girls are free ranging they are more susceptible to worms so perhaps worming them every 4 months might be better.
Staffies are softer than you think.

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 09:35 »
flubenevent is good as well as theres no egg withdrawal x
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 10:46 »
I'd agree with the flubenvet, but found that due to different birds having different appetites some weren't getting the full dose when it was added to their feed so I checked on the site here and followed the advice of giving a pinch of it to each bird individually on 1/2 a grape a day for a week - worked a treat & that way I had peace of mind they all got wormed.

Laydies

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 13:56 »
many thanks for the advice -  we'll make sure that this is done on a regular basis as  they are out and about most days - so will be getting their fair share of worms... still can't quite get over the size of worms they will tackle!!  sheer gluttony!

hendreary

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 17:11 »
Is flubenvet available over the counter or will I have to get a note from the vet?
Geoff Davis. :)

Kym503

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 21:54 »
If you think snails, worms and froglets are vile try watching 5 of them pull a dead mouse apart and eat it.  I have to say boiled eggs were off the menu the next morning!!

Laydies

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 22:29 »
AAARGGHH  not a nice thought! but, its only exactly the same as any bird of prey would do...  it's just breakfast..or supper! 

Anyway - a quick search and flubenvet is easily available on internet sites and costs about £14.00 

Thanks for the advice on dosing each of the laydies with powder on a grape or suchlike.. great idea and at least you know that they have all been treated.

birds in a basket

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 16:59 »
I'd agree with the flubenvet, but found that due to different birds having different appetites some weren't getting the full dose when it was added to their feed so I checked on the site here and followed the advice of giving a pinch of it to each bird individually on 1/2 a grape a day for a week - worked a treat & that way I had peace of mind they all got wormed.

Thanks for the advise Catsmuvva - I was wondering how to administer when the next session came round!!  :D
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 16:30 »
I've just bought some flubenvet from   animalmedicines.co.uk   for £14.00 for 60g with free delivery.

TeaPots

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 19:22 »
I am probably alone in this thought, but a pinch? how much is a pinch? This flubenvet is powerful stuff.  :ohmy:

I mix mine as per instructions, and put it in their feed. Stop All treats for the 7 days of treatment, and the smaller girls will eat a smaller quantity, thus getting an appropriate dose for size of hen. I actually think a pinch is probably too much for many hens.

Sorry to sound a spoilsport. :(

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 39 queries.