At last - found a decent shredder!

• 9 Replies

Goosegirl

At last - found a decent shredder!
« on: March 05, 2009, 17:35 »
Sent post a few months ago for recommendations but there didn't seem to be anything out there anyone found good enough. Well, not one to give up, I finally found someone who was willing to go to the trouble of finding a demo model which eat everything I put in so I bought one. It's reasonably priced (I haggled and got it cheaper plus a collection box thrown in), solidly made, easy to manoeuvre and clean, electric with sufficient length of cable, some very small twigs came out unshredded but that's all. There is a shredder/chipper combo model but I have the shredder version for which you can buy a chipper part but I won't bother. I don't know if you can advertise on here but if anyone wants the info please email me and I will pass it on.  :D :D :D :lol:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Alfie

• Experienced Member
    • Chester Vintage Enthusiasts Club
Re: At last - found a decent shredder!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 19:22 »
The suspense is killing me ..... What make / model  is it  :)
Graham

Behind every successful man stands a surprised mother-in-law

Gwiz

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 05:54 »
provided you're not selling them, I can't see much problem with telling us what make and mode ;)
Go on, spill the beans..... :)
Is it an Alko?

andtiggertoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 10:01 »
oo you're just teasing us, the suspense is too much :lol:

I am looking for a new shredder, my existing one cuts out constantly as the vibration shakes the electrical connection loose, it's so annoying I haven't used it for ages. It makes me so cross. :mad:

As I've now used all my old compost heap up filling my raised beds, I want my new compost heap to be ready to use faster. I've also now gone through all my homemade leafmold on sowing seeds. So perhaps shredding the leaves will speed up the next batch of that too.

Please tell us the make of your fab new shredder ;)

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 21:03 »
I bought a Bosch quiet "shredder" several years ago. It is quiet enough to have a conversation at normal speech levels when it's working . It is a mincer action rather than a shredder. It chops bits into 3/4" lengths and partly squashes some material depending on the moisture content.

I use it mainly for woody prunings up to 3/4" dia. Any bigger is cut for sticks for the woodburner, or used for bean poles etc. The stuff which is minced I sieve through 1/2" and the small bits drob through. These are used for paths or put into the compost bin. The larger bits I put into sprout nets to dry and use these for the woodburner, camp stove etc.

I could chop the prunings into sticks, but enough is enough, and the mincer does the job a lot faster.

It easily deals with the green things too.

Being a mincer there are no shock loads trying to shake it to pieces.

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 17:07 »
OK. You've got me hooked - what shredder is it that is the answer to a gardener's prayer?

CVB

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 17:56 »
Sorry about that - didn't want to contravene any rules!! It's a Viking GE250. There are several models in this range with a tall chute and a decent sized aperture to get your bunch of prunings through. I just grab a bunch and stuff them in then get another bunch and stuff that in which pushes the first one through. You can buy a chipper adapter if you chip and shred or buy it with the chipper only. Ask for a demo model - my supplier was very obliging and made enquiries for me so you might get the same one I had! Some twigs come out bruised rather than chopped but if you need to get rid of masses of branches and compost them then it's great. Haggle for the best price too! Viking are part of Stihl which are German made and robust. Having had a cheap one from Argos (free with coupons but what a waste of them - my buttonholes are bigger) then a mighty and expensive MTD Lawnflite 24-463 where the sloping chute didn't let twiggy stuff get to the bottom (but shredded them great when it did), I feel I have covered the field. Demo models are a MUST! I call mine "Ethelshred" - sad, isn't it!!  :D

Gwiz

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 18:22 »
Thanks for that, Goosegirl!

S'funny how a brand name can crop-up all of a sudden. That's three times now that I've heard the name Viking in as many days.

I'm going to ask my trade suppliers for a catalogue!  :)

dorimower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 08:38 »
Meanwhile, I noticed recently that some items that were branded Viking have gone Orange and are now Stihl branded..electric hedgetrimmers
..and previously a few years ago electric blowers that were Stihl branded went white/green and became Viking branded....

"Dori"

Gwiz

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 08:58 »
Are you suggesting a little bit of "badge engineering" could be going on?

surely not. ;)

xx
Best Shredder?

Started by devondays on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post July 18, 2006, 15:25
by noshed
xx
Fellowes shredder

Started by horsepooisgood on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post August 05, 2010, 16:20
by Baz
xx
McCulloch Shredder

Started by Veg Plot 1B on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post November 21, 2018, 07:18
by Veg Plot 1B
xx
Garden shredder

Started by Amilo on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post September 15, 2013, 11:14
by carlrmj

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 39 queries.