Emu died this morning

• 9 Replies

Oliveview

Emu died this morning
« on: January 26, 2011, 11:49 »
I don´t know if any of you remember about the hen we had that had an ´odd´ neck, she would tip her head back and look at us backwards and as for drinking!! 
For the past few weeks she has taken to not going up onto the perch at night, she sits in a gap between them, so we had to put her up along with the others (or get poo´d on)  On Sunday I noticed she had a bleeding toe, so I put her in a large box in the garage (kept the light on for her) and she ate all the food and drank the water, she was fine, her toe dried up no more sign of bleeding, I could not even see where the blood came from so I put her back with the other hens yesterday morning.  Last night as usual I had to put her up onto the perch.  This morning all the hens were by the gate demanding food and when I went into the hen house there was Emu in her night time place between the perches, facing the wall and all fluffed up.  I put her back in the garage with more food and water with anti-biotic.  I went into town to get a blood test and pick up my new glasses (much smarter than my old ones) and when I got back 3 hours later Emu had died :ohmy: :(
Juan the neighbour buried her in his garden for me, his garden is much bigger than ours.
She was such a character of a hen, when we bought more hens from the same place I told the man about Emu´s neck, he said she was probably brain damaged. 
Pamela

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Emu died this morning
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 13:03 »
Well done for giving her a chance for life Pamela.  With you care she's had a lot of "extra" time :)

I'm sure you'll miss her :(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 14:38 »
At least you know that she had the best life she could possibly have had with you Pamela and will have known she was well loved, huge hugs xx
Staffies are softer than you think.

Kathie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 16:23 »
So sorry to hear of your loss, but as said you gave her a wonderful life and although you will miss her you will never forget.
3 dogs now, 2 passed RIP Poppy and Paige, one wonderful husband and a new adventure on this wonderful island

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 16:45 »
I'm so sorry to hear Emu had died. I always liked hearing the stories about her.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Oliveview

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 17:04 »
When she drank the water she tipped her head back and kind of upside down and the water would come out onto her back so the other hens would stand by her and drink the water off her back, last summer she had a spot on her back where the feathers were ´worn´to the quill!  :lol:
Pamela

Pol

• Pauline
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 20:32 »
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss
1 Great Husband, 2 Children, 1 Grandson, 2 Allotments & Secretary, 3 Buff Orpington, 2 Friesian, 2 Barnevelder, 2 Dogs 1 Cocker Spaniel and the other X Labrador, 1 Chinchilla, 1 Cat, 2 Guinea Pigs, 2 Horse and look after 2 more, must be mad

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 23:10 »
Oh dear, so sad to hear about Emu but she had a good life with you and she probably lived longer than you'd expected her to given her problems. Bless her :(

Oliveview

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 11:47 »
I will have to search here to see when I first posted about her, then I will know how old she is, or was.
Pamela

Oliveview

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 11:54 »
Got her in Oct 2008  so she was about 2 1/2 years old
Pamela

xx
Popsy has died 😭

Started by ghost61 on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post May 05, 2018, 21:34
by Bamboochicken
xx
Korma died overnight :-(

Started by ScottBarton on Chicken Chat

17 Replies
Last post September 16, 2011, 14:54
by sneezer
xx
miss salty died

Started by shetan on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post July 23, 2011, 20:03
by NormandyMary
xx
Turkey died in my arms

Started by Oliveview on Chicken Chat

13 Replies
Last post May 05, 2018, 21:48
by Bamboochicken

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 40 queries.