Floppy Chilli Leaves

• 6 Replies

Jay The Digger

• Experienced Member
Floppy Chilli Leaves
« on: May 26, 2009, 21:35 »
This is my second attempt at growing Chilli's after last years "They will be alright outside" blunder.

This year they are going great guns on my window sill, but recently have started to droop.  Is this a watering problem?  I don't want them standing in water all the time, but am watering every few days.

They are covered in flowers (although they seem to die off after 5 or so days)  so am feeding them once every 10 or so days.  I am also spraying them every few days with water to set the flowers.

They are in a 15cm pot but the roots are showing.  Will these need re-potting into something roomier?

blackbob

• Experienced Member
Re: Floppy Chilli Leaves
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 21:43 »
This is my second attempt at growing Chilli's after last years "They will be alright outside" blunder.

This year they are going great guns on my window sill, but recently have started to droop.  Is this a watering problem?  I don't want them standing in water all the time, but am watering every few days.

They are covered in flowers (although they seem to die off after 5 or so days)  so am feeding them once every 10 or so days.  I am also spraying them every few days with water to set the flowers.

They are in a 15cm pot but the roots are showing.  Will these need re-potting into something roomier?

15cm should be fine,keep them on the dry side.and weather permitting put them outside during the day.
switch to a tomato feed also.

pumpkinpatch

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 21:43 »
I would suggest replanting and make sure that the soil is not to wet so you don't over water because you might drown them so be careful but besides that you seem to be doing everything might but make sure that the flowers get pollinated because if they don't get pollinate then that means no chilli's  

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 21:52 »
i forgot to mention Jay,the flowers are meant to fall away.as long as you have a pin sized little chilli fruit remaining. :)

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 22:00 »
I never water chillies till the compost is dry and they start to wilt. Indoors you get more fruit if you tickle the flowers with an artists paintbrush, pretend your a bee. :)

If the plants seem top heavy a bigger pot is needed.

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 00:15 »
Does the whole flower stalk and all drop off or just the petals. If it's the former they are not being pollinated. Tickle the flowers with a paint brush and you should start to get chillies developing.

Jay The Digger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 10:45 »
Thanks for all the advice.  I will break out the paintbrush and give em a tickle.

Incidentally, I stood them in a tray of water last night, and this morning they are standing upright again, looking as good as new.

Obviously was a watering thing.

Cheers guys.

xx
floppy cucumber leaves.

Started by richie on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 12, 2011, 10:04
by richie
xx
Floppy onion leaves, not yet mature

Started by someoneorother on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 21, 2011, 10:58
by andtiggertoo
xx
Chilli leaves pale

Started by BabbyAnn on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 30, 2013, 11:29
by fatbelly
clip
Chilli leaves going brown and falling off

Started by Dai on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 02, 2013, 21:35
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 33 queries.