Weed killer

• 7 Replies

France16

Weed killer
« on: September 22, 2011, 11:14 »
Hi, I am new to the Allotment, so would appreciate your advice.

I live in France and inherited a large veg plot (large to me ) and I have successfully grown a few vegetables on a small section of it to "have a go" and quite enjoyed reaping the results. I have a big problem with weeds as the garden has not been used for a couple of years, I would like to kill them all off and start from scratch. Can anyone recommend a good weedkiller that I can use, but then also be able to sow new vegetables etc.

Thank you.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Weed killer
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 11:16 »
Welcome to the forums!  :)

I have moved your post to the "Grow your own" forum as it is about growing vegetables (eventually!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

bigben

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 11:42 »
There are many glyphospate based weedkillers that are effective. Others will perhaps fill out the details about which is best value. I have used Roundup where I diluted and sprayed it. For it to work plants need to be actively growing so if you plan on using it you need to do so soon or it may be too cold and the plants will not take it in. I think you can use it within about 6 weeks of planting but I would try to do it now and consider doing it again in the spring as stuff starts to appear again.

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 12:46 »
When I first got my allotment I used Glyphosate to start and clear the weeds, roundup is expensive what I used was a concentrated Glyphosate (Wilco’s) with a dash of washing up liquid added, the washing up liquid is to help the weed killer stick to the leaves.
Paul

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 13:14 »
Bear in mind, that one application of weed killer - which clears the ground - will not keep weeds from reappearing in spring, and throughout the season.

It's a constant battle I'm afraid, but good luck with the plot  :)

Casey76

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 14:44 »
There are many different types of selective herbicides available, but a generic bottle of glyphosate will be the cheapest.

I've used glyphosate on general weeds and grass (where grass shouldn't be) then used a specific weedkiller for nettles, docks and brambles) this is very good - expensive, but it doesn't kill grass.

I'll let you know what it's called when I get home to see the bottle!

France16

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 19:00 »
Thanks folks really helpful, once I have used the Glyphosate , am I ok to plant new veg/fruits etc, or do I have to leave it a while before planting anything else.  :blush:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 19:34 »
There is no residue left on the soil, so you can plant straightaway.  However, be aware that the weedkiller will take some weeks to take effect (usually 10-14 days if plants are growing strongly, longer now we're into autumn in the UK / N France), so you might want to wait a bit for the effects to be seen.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
What weed killer ?

Started by pistonbroke on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 15, 2008, 21:34
by Aunt Sally
xx
which weed killer?

Started by hebridean on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 16, 2010, 21:11
by hebridean
xx
weed killer

Started by lightyears on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 13, 2008, 12:12
by cawdor2001
xx
weed killer

Started by vixen on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 24, 2011, 20:21
by vixen

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 40 queries.