« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2009, 14:59 »
that's true!
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

Ayla

Re: Help Pig Sunburn
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2009, 16:16 »
Thanks again for everyone's comments -

I hear everyone's thoughts and am the type to be aware & cautious, but not paranoid.  The way I see it, pigs were (and still are) raised worldwide by eating leftovers, and as long as what you're eating is fit for human consumption then surely it's good enough for the pigs you'll be ultimately eating as well?

I'm not sure how the regs differ from Ire to UK, but I know a local pig farmer collects buckets of scraps from the restaurant I used to work in, and all sorts went into them.   :unsure:  I don't agree with that (for the fat content alone, if nothing else) but if that's ok, then I'm sure tea bags & apple cores are as well.  I would personally be just as wary of genetically modified feeds with all sorts of chemicals & preservatives introduced.

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2009, 16:28 »
the regulations are because when foot & mouth started it was caused because the restaurant that was providing swill was using meat from asia which was infected with foot and mouth.  Cooking the meat doesn't kill the organism so although it was fit for humans, the pigs still got infected.

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2009, 07:34 »
Looked on DEFRA's web site and found this so I think the rules do apply in Ireland

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/by-prods/wastefood/cater-qa.htm

Q3. What legislation now prohibits catering waste from being fed to animals?
The Animal By-Products Regulation (EC) No. 1774/2002 prohibits catering waste from being fed to farmed animals. This applies in all EU member states and applied from 1 May 2003.

Q5. What is the definition of catering waste?
Catering waste means all waste food including used cooking oils originating in restaurants, catering facilities and kitchens, including central kitchens and household kitchens'. This definition also includes catering waste from vegetarian restaurants and kitchens.

treacle

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2009, 08:33 »
Mmmmm crackling  :D

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2009, 08:45 »
Looked on DEFRA's web site and found this so I think the rules do apply in Ireland.........................

Does this assume that it for sale, what about for own consumption?
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2009, 09:14 »
It applies to all pigs.  Because they have to go through a slaughter house there is a chance of spreading disease, (how it initially spread last time) so ALL pigs are subject to the rules.  It's not so much about human consumption issues, more the decimation of the farming industry in the UK, not to mention tourism and other effects on the economy etc...etc..etc

Ayla

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2009, 12:51 »

Q3. What legislation now prohibits catering waste from being fed to animals?
The Animal By-Products Regulation (EC) No. 1774/2002 prohibits catering waste from being fed to farmed animals. This applies in all EU member states and applied from 1 May 2003.

Q5. What is the definition of catering waste?
Catering waste means all waste food including used cooking oils originating in restaurants, catering facilities and kitchens, including central kitchens and household kitchens'. This definition also includes catering waste from vegetarian restaurants and kitchens.

Thanks SMD66 for looking into this further and providing citations...

Ok, so I'm sure I'm splitting hairs here, but DEFRA did state "used catering waste [even household kitchens] including cooking oils...".  This does not necessarily specify the illegality of giving raw veggie scraps.  There are a couple different ways you could read their statement.  All the same, I hear your point about the potential for cross contamination.

When the Dept of Agriculture came out to do our inspection they said it was fine to give veggie scraps from our kitchen (b/c we did ask them specifically) but they made a point of saying that any scraps from restaurants/hotels/large scale production were to be avoided.

Again, maybe I'm just being a Devil's Advocate.  Of course it's possible I'm in the wrong here, but considering my family eats almost no meat anyway, and whatever we do eat is raised & produced locally by our neighborhood butcher, I just can't see the harm in rinsing vegetable-based sauces from our dinner plates into the pig bucket.  We never give our pigs any actual meat scraps, and I think they really benefit from the various vitamins & minerals they get from leftover fruit smoothies & yoghurt pots. 

Raising pigs has always been done this way, and as long as we're not introducing meat products that literally come from around the world (where the regulations aren't as stringent) this is the way we're keeping at it.  I'm not trying to be difficult, just saying what that restaurant who kick-started the epidemic did and what my family is doing are worlds apart.

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2009, 14:01 »
Hi Ayla,

I can absolutley see your point, swill from take-away restaurants who source their meat from asia etc are the sort of establishments who could cause a major problem. 

I understand that you would be careful with what you rinse off the plates too.  In the war buckets of scraps from everywhere went to feed pigs and they thrived on it.  It's a shame that the rules have to be so stringent but like I said before, it's over-kill to cover all eventualities, no allowances for common sense.

In the end we all make the choice how we 'interpret' the rules.

Good luck with your pigs, I am sure they are really happy and well looked after.  :)

revJonny

• Self Sufficiency Guide
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2009, 20:51 »
I thought you were joking with the suntan lotion! If your pigs are really suffering from the heat then they're not suited to their current environment. Shade in the form of trees and housing, and access to wet mud should be enough to protect them.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2009, 20:55 »
I think Ruff's pigs are a bit like children. You can provide them with all the shelter you like but if they would rather be out playing in the sunshine then they will!
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Ayla

« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2009, 09:28 »
I think Ruff's pigs are a bit like children. You can provide them with all the shelter you like but if they would rather be out playing in the sunshine then they will!

Well said...ours have full sheds/huts, loads of shade and cool wallows, but on each hot & sunny day, where have they been but laying out sunning themselves?  In fact, the only time they "cover up" inside their shelters has been when it's raining.  Oh well  ::)

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2009, 10:09 »

revJonny just to give you some background I live on a hill, it is always windy here.
As you probably know wind will take away the heat of the sun, so you can not feel it.
They have come from (born) an inside environment they are not used to the sun.  In there first weeks here it was sunny and windy and they are like children they are not aware they are being burnt.  As the weeks have passed and through the hot spell we have recently had here 3+ weeks of 25c+ the pigs have learnt that mud is good.  I have not had to apply sun screen for at least 4 weeks.  As you may be aware (if you have read this thread) this is my first time as a pig keeper and we all make mistakes, mine was not applying sun cream early enough. It is not really a problem putting sun cream on there ears, in fact it got them used to being handled.  These two girls are middle whites and I was going to get British Lops (very similar) if these girls taste as good as they look I am definitely going to get the same again.  They have reached there weight very quickly and are no problem at all.

Do you have pigs, or what is your knowledge of pigs?

I thought you were joking with the suntan lotion! If your pigs are really suffering from the heat then they're not suited to their current environment. Shade in the form of trees and housing, and access to wet mud should be enough to protect them.
I suppose the above statement is a good enough reason why people should not go abroad on holiday then?

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2009, 22:57 »

Kate and I have seen Ruffs pigs, and seen how childlike they are! Despite a perfick setup they behave like 8 year olds out playing all day
Suntan lotion its got to be  :lol:
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

FCG

« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2009, 00:09 »
Ha! Eight year olds Peapod? More like 3 year olds.

Rough spoils them like kids as well... he might as well get some goats for the kids to boot :D

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 40 queries.