Bumble bees in the compost bin

• 10 Replies

Debz

Bumble bees in the compost bin
« on: June 06, 2011, 16:09 »
They are a bit of a nuisance because the compost bin is in the garden.  Is there anything that I can do to encourage them to leave without having to kill them?

darren64

Re: Bumble bees in the compost bin
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 20:26 »
The only way u will get them to move,is to move them youreself or get a beekeeper to move them,they need to be moved in the evening when all the bees are in the nest,I'm n ot sure about the distance but with honey bees you have to move them over 3 miles or the workers will return to the old nest site.

kevinp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 20:33 »
Can I ask why they are a problem ?  they will go in a couple of months and during that time they will pollinate all your plants.

grendel

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 21:04 »
probably ground nesting bees, - burrowing bees, we had some the other year where I was trying to put a patio down, they are very docile - I ended up moving the whole nest on a shovel, all without a hint of an attack. if they are they should only neest for one year and will move on in the autumn.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

doctorangler

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 21:13 »
hi debz bubble bees you can put a diluted jays fluid a round the area it wont kill them they dont like the smell do this in the morning it will give them chance to move .bubble bees die in the winter the queen is the only one that lives the bees are busy feeding her so she can lay more brood for next year the queen is encased in cone the size of a jaffa hope this helps   plus bubble bees wont sting unless you go near the queen cone  

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 21:36 »
Jeys fluid is not licensed for the use suggested by doctorangler - so would be illegal to do.

We can't condone such suggestions I'm afraid.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Ruby Red

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 09:00 »

It really is strange that what someone considers a problem others would die for. Im in the latter camp. I have tubes and houses for all sorts of bees everyand would love to have a natural bee nest . Like someone said they will be gone in a few more weeks. Worth the disruption surely.
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

Debz

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 09:23 »
I don't generally have a problem with bees in the garden but these bees are in a compost dalek just at my 21 month old babies head height.  The compost bin is in the garden and I don't want to risk him getting stung if he clatters against the bin and upsets them.  They are also a bit grumpy if you are trying to work in the garden near there nest.  There are hundreds of flowers in the garden that are planted for their benefit, I would just prefer them to live somewhere a little higher up.

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 10:38 »
We seem to have a few bumble bee nests around the garden this year... I'm allergic to bee and wasp stings so always a little sensitive of them and where they live!  One nest is next to the picnic table and they come out and bump straight into you!  As others have said they are non-aggresive and just continue on their way... We also have a red-tailed bumble bee living next to where we put sacks of compost.  It's fine as long as you do not put the sack on top of his entrance... otherwise he gets a bit anxious lol.  We usually have a leaf cutter bee (or two) as well but haven't seen any sign of them this year.  I also found loads of bee grubs in a pot when I was repotting some plants... Horrible looking things!  But in the end I just coverend them back up  :happy: (I was considering giving them to the chooks  :ohmy: )

So I shouldn't worry to much... bumble bees are non-aggressive and you get used to them buzzing around  ::)  I haven't been stung by one yet (and it would be serious if i did...) so I don't worry.  I guess ignore or move the compost bin?

Debz

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 11:29 »
Moving the compost bin is not an option as it is full up and has no bottom on it.  We had wnated to use the compost out of it but will have to wait until the end of the season now

Robster

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 11:58 »
Well done Debz.  Letting them Bee is a great choice.  They'll repay you by pollinating everything hopefully.

We have a white tail bumblebee colony under a tree in a pile of logs.  This year a "swarm" seemed to go and move into a nesting box half way up a walnut tree.  It was wonderful to see.

Enjoy your bees

xx
bees in my compost heap

Started by l meyers on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post May 26, 2013, 22:54
by compostqueen
xx
HUGE bees in my compost heap

Started by goose on Pets without Feathers

7 Replies
Last post October 17, 2011, 12:21
by cricketwidow
xx
Bumble Bee Problem??

Started by Jae Dawn on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post April 18, 2012, 22:24
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Bees

Started by wilbzfishing on Pets without Feathers

8 Replies
Last post February 10, 2014, 17:49
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 38 queries.