Some bad news followed by some great news!!

• 27 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Some bad news followed by some great news!!
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2010, 23:15 »
well just been out to check how they are all doing and mum has abandoned them all, no sign of her but lots of little tiny chicks crying out for her all scattered everywhere  :(. She really is useless at this mothering thing - great at the broodying bit but just has no idea what else she is supposed to do. Anyway I think I have managed to find them all - not an easy task when you see my garden - and have placed them with Claudette who did start to protest at all these little ones trying to snuggle up to her. I have bribed her with a few meal worms and whilst she was busy tucking into them gently lifted her up a bit on one side and ushered the little ones under. I have now shut the coup up and left them in the dark, fingers crossed it will be plain sailing from now on. Looks like I will be having to make a temporary broody run  for her and the chicks.

If you need anything Joy, brooder box, heat lamp, anything!  Let me know!  I hope Claudette doesn't let you down!!

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2010, 04:56 »
How traumatic!

Fingers crossed it works out with Claudette.

animal mad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2010, 07:17 »
brilliant you have just made my day hearing news like this, you cant help but smiling.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2010, 08:41 »
Update so far, I carefully lifted a little bit of Claudette's wing and a little face popped out so she has done well and at least one is still OK - I don't want to disturb her too much today so have put some chick crumb and a chick drinker in that coup and shut the others out. The Mum Miss Stake (1 of 3 that I bought that were supposed to be araucanas but are crosses and lay silkie coloured eggs  :mad: - the other 2 are call Miss Sold and Miss Led  ;)) came out of one of the other coups and started looking in every coup rosey for her babies  :(. It was so sad but I can't take the risk and return them to her - she can hatch but has no idea about the nurturing part of it  :(. Off out for the day today to help stop me interfering  ::).

Annie I am so lucky having you just down the road, I think we will be ok now with Claudette raising them - apart from she will teach them all to roost in the trees like her last lot  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

Casey76

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2010, 08:47 »
Wow Joy, not a dull moment at your place is there?

First I was "aww" they "yay" then "aww" they "yay" again!  Too much for a Sunday morning  :blink:

joyfull

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2010, 08:53 »
I just cant get over the feeling when I first saw her with all the little ones - it was just such an amazing thing, it's a shame it didn't work out with her but again it highlights the need for a back up plan when hatching eggs - Grannie Annie is usually my back up plan - if I can't sort out something Annie and Brian are always close by   :)

joyfull

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2010, 19:54 »
checked on them before we went out this morning and yes there are all 9 chicks with Claudette. Tonight they have all been out from underneath her and are all doing fine so I am well pleased that I hadn't managed to break Claudette out of her broodiness  :D

chuckmad

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2010, 10:56 »
Oh my what a time you've had. Really sorry to hear about the lavender, but so happy to hear about the chicks. I have everything crossed that it all goes to plan.

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2010, 20:23 »
Awww Joy how lovely to have 9 likkle chicks brought to you as a surprise.Sorry to hear about the loss though.

I want some chicks now ..................... I was warnede that this chicken keeping can get out of hand but I said noo not me ::) ::) ::) Now I want everything  :blink: :blink: :blink:

joyfull

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2010, 20:27 »
when these little ones get bigger you are more than welcome to some of them Ma as these were completely unplanned  :lol:. I don't know which of the hens are the mothers but the fathers are lavender araucanas so the chicks should lay blue or green coloured eggs  :D

Ma Lowe

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2010, 21:02 »
Oh thank you Joy that would be lovely.  I want to see pics of these lovely chicks  :happy: :happy:

joyfull

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2010, 21:19 »
I will try and take some tomorrow, but as they only hatched on Saturday you will have to wait 2 or 3 months. How many do you want 1, 2, 3 4 or even all 9?  ;)  :lol:

Ma Lowe

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2010, 12:48 »
 <<<thud>>>>

:ohmy :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: All 9?????

I think just 2 ......... for now lol.

xx
Have I Got News For You

Started by sneezer on Chicken Chat

0 Replies
Last post November 09, 2013, 10:20
by sneezer
xx
chicken news

Started by wolverine on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post October 08, 2010, 11:42
by evie2
xx
Eggciting News!! My Chick, Chicken is officially a Hen!!!

Started by F1schuey on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post January 27, 2012, 22:10
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Noisy rooster - local news story

Started by Ben_H on Chicken Chat

15 Replies
Last post July 21, 2011, 14:00
by shetan

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 40 queries.