Do you manure raspberries?

• 5 Replies

Zippy

Do you manure raspberries?
« on: September 19, 2010, 20:17 »
I am considering how much manure to get in and use and what really needs it.  I have access to a good supply of organic horse and alpaca manure so qantity is only limited by time and stamina shovelling, bagging and spreading.

Would my rasperries benefit from a spreading of manure? My concern is that too much nitrogen may cause them to put out good leaves but lazy fruit.

There is white clover growing down the raspberry row so are they getting enough nitrogen by the clover fixing nitrogen near the raspberry roots?

I know blackcurrants usually need a good feed as does rhubarb apparently, but is feeding fruit rows just a waste of good manure and hard labour or is it worthwhile?

Spana

Re: Do you manure raspberries?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 21:03 »
I spread a thick layer down each side of the row mainly as a mulch to help keep the weeds down :)
I'm not at all technical so dont know if its good or bad for raspberries, i just carry on regardless :D

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 01:07 »
I add manure yearly if I can get enough. In addition to nitrogen, you also get some potassium and phosphorous, all needed for balanced healthy growth. It's not just green leaves you need with nitrogen but also healthy new shoots later as well as good fruit set from the other 2. I often sprinkle on a bit of veg ferilizer first before the manure to make sure things are balanced.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 09:48 »
I have read that you need to look after the soil structure for Raspberries, as well as their feeding.  Also helps keep the moisture in (I follow later on with mower clippings, which may well be robbing some Nitrogen but helps to keep the moisture in).

Blinking complicated this gardening malarkey ... better to do something, that nothing, though!

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 16:13 »
Green fresh mowed clippings are the worst for nitrogen robbing, but if you can leave them a day or 2 to dry, then they're fine and do negligible damage when added later.

Really, raspberries aren't hard to feed. Just that they do need feeding if we're going to demand good output from them. Gone is the old belief that they'll fend for themselves. Not true. I've seen too many gardeners find yellow-leafed plants that they dig out and replace - only because they never realized they had to feed them like any other plant.

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 16:50 »
I have read that some people pile straw on top - mainly to conserve moisture - and it seems to work. Nitrogen-robbing would depend on your current nitrogen levels. Any big mulch would do - and if you find the leaves showing any signs of nitrogen deficiency, add it or foliar feed.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
Growing rhubarb/raspberries in manure

Started by WeavingGryphon on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 07, 2020, 17:15
by WeavingGryphon
xx
How good is Pig Manure mixed with Horse Manure?

Started by MichelleC on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 05, 2011, 17:50
by MichelleC
xx
Chicken Manure Pellets vs DIY Store Manure

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 20, 2014, 14:01
by Hampshire Hog
xx
Green Manure and Animal Manure

Started by AllotmentTom19 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 22:47
by Muddylou

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 32 queries.