mites!

• 2 Replies

Tartuffe

• "why don't you come on over Valerie"
mites!
« on: July 12, 2010, 16:59 »
I lost my favorite chicken on Friday - quite suddenly really, she hadnt laid an egg for about 3 weeks and I thought she may be starting a moult, but on Friday morning she was still sitting on the perch, her comb was all pale and she was lethargic.............up until then she had been eating and drinking normally.  She died in my arms and it was only when I looked at her I realised she had lots of mites.  I feel really guilty.

On saturday morning I noticed another chicken looking very poorly, with loss of colour in the comb etc, I expected her to be dead when I came home but thankfully she seems to have regained her self.  I have moved everyone out of the coop and pressure washed it with thick bleach then sprayed poultry shield, the girls have all been dusted (again with red mite powder) and I was wondering how long I leave them out of the coop? when is it safe for them to return? as Im keeping them in a temp run (dont want Mr Fox to get wind of it!) I feel really guilty and I hate to think that they have been miserable at night without me noticing.
Tartuffe Cavies - Black and Beige Tans of Character and Distinction

interlocutor

Re: mites!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 20:42 »
Red mite is really difficult to get rid of. My husband used a blow torch ( very carefully ) followed by a good dousing of poultry shield. We repeated this a week later.

I don't think you can get rid of them entirely I use some white kitchen paper just rub it under the perches you will soon see the blood from the mites if you have them. I know horrible isn't it.

Thankfully ours seem back to normal but you have to be very vigilant as you sadly found they will kill the chickens if not kept under control.

You can buy the poultry shield at the country store on the old London road Ipswich if that is any help.

Good luck,

Tartuffe

• "why don't you come on over Valerie"
Re: mites!
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 17:41 »
Do you mean Copdock Mill?

I have moved the girls into the garden in a make shift pen and they have been there since i caught them up and gave them a thorough dusting (I was thinking that if they couldnt frequent their usual natural dust bath it may keep the powder on longer) but to be honest i cant keep them there indefinately!

Today ive checked the run and I can still see the little buggars coming out of the woodwork and knotwork! ive sprayed with bleach again and put more poultry shield down but dont feel like subjecting the girls to being bitten again.

Im itching just thinking about them!

xx
Anyone tried predatory mites to control red mites?

Started by VeggieVirgin on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 30, 2014, 15:36
by grinling
xx
mites

Started by RigsVilleBird on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 06, 2011, 22:16
by RigsVilleBird
xx
red mites ???

Started by chris rob on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 23, 2012, 07:51
by joyfull
xx
Leg Mites

Started by princesspoultry on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 08:03
by Jo57

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 38 queries.