what to plant?

• 6 Replies

amurdin

what to plant?
« on: June 07, 2015, 10:58 »
We have recently finished  our garden make over and are ready to plant flowers (we have a veg garden which I doing well) but I am stuck on what to plant in this section... There is new pear and 2 apple trees and we have just put some bedding plants in for now for some quick colour. it is very bare and want plants to cover the ground easily so it doesn't look covered in weeds all the time.

Thanks
tn.jpg
tn2.jpg

Goosegirl

Re: what to plant?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 11:34 »
The trees will provide some dappled shade, but the first thing we need is to know whether it faces north, south, east or west as that would help to identify how much they will shade the area, the type of soil you have and your preferred style of garden so we can the suggest the right plants for you. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking of all-year round plants (not shrubs) that won't rob the nutrients from the trees. I love Hellebores as they flower for ages in spring and their new leaves can get quite large, also hostas, ferns and Heucheras.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

amurdin

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 11:49 »
The garden is south facing and that area the soil is quite sandy. It would be nice to have some all year plants,  but we are open for anything to improve it.

Thanks

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 13:22 »
English lavender near to the path either as a low hedge or repeat plants. Will give all round interest and scent when brushed past. How big are the trees likely to become? (Height and spread)

jaydig

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 13:39 »
Perhaps one of the perennial salvias such as 'hot lips' for colour all summer long, but not winter cover. evergreen herbs such as rosemary, sage, thyme, which are useful as well as ornamental.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 15:06 »
Aubretia and rockery campanulas, underplanted with spring bulbs, for early colour and some of the smaller perennial geraniums, would look good.

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 13:46 »
The garden is south facing and that area the soil is quite sandy. It would be nice to have some all year plants,  but we are open for anything to improve it.

Thanks
Ah, so it will be prone to drying out so forget hostas and ferns. The previous suggestions look good and I believe tulips like some sun when they have finished flowering.

xx
Anybody know this plant please

Started by soaplady on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post August 13, 2012, 23:45
by viettaclark
clip
Plant ID please

Started by snowdrops on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post June 14, 2021, 12:08
by mrs bouquet
xx
Plant ID help please

Started by Casey76 on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post June 24, 2009, 17:43
by kinola
clip
And another Plant ID

Started by MalcW on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post July 30, 2015, 09:25
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 39 queries.