cabbage root fly

• 3 Replies

LottieSue

cabbage root fly
« on: July 08, 2011, 09:12 »
Quick question - is it still worth putting collars round my newly planted second batch of calabrese and mini caulis? A couple of my sprout plants did wilt mysteriously in the spring (though no sign of maggots at the time).
This was in spite of using collars - though in the dry spring, it was difficult to get the cardboard I use to stay flat!

Thanks

Sue

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: cabbage root fly
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 15:43 »
For me this has been the worst year (most of our site will say the same). There is normaly two hatches in the year, collars again haven't worked for us so I have tried a couple of experiments, the first being to lay some fine gravel (road chipping material) around the base of the plants upto about an inch in depth, the other was to carefully lay some lime around the base. Both so far have worked.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

LottieSue

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 13:54 »
Thanks Aidy

I think I'll try some extra lime instead of collars - might help with the clubroot as well (though I do add some to the holes when I plant).

I find collars extremely fiddly to put on. Cardboard not being very flexible - I'm always worried I'm going to decapitate the plant while I'm trying to fit them round the stem! 

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 15:09 »
I've never heard of lime being effective against root fly - it's relevant to club foot though.  If true, you learn something every day.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Cabbage root fly.....Help

Started by Gardening Mark on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 12, 2007, 07:23
by Aunt Sally
xx
Cabbage Root Fly

Started by Zak the Rabbit on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 28, 2006, 17:12
by Zak the Rabbit
xx
cabbage root fly

Started by bedrockdave on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post January 06, 2008, 19:50
by gobs
xx
cabbage root fly

Started by early4704 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 14, 2008, 18:09
by DD.

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 32 queries.