Bigger & tastier toms!

• 19 Replies

sharpie

Bigger & tastier toms!
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2008, 13:54 »
Thanks to all you folks out there for your replies.....even tho it did go off on an interesting 'when to water' tangent!   :)  What i'll do this summer is take a differing amount of leaves of the same varieties of toms and conduct a 'test'; i'll let you know what happens. Thanks again
Never judge a carrot by its size.

gobs

Bigger & tastier toms!
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2008, 18:27 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
Quote from: "millie C"
Just looked it up again! on info pages of this (brilliant) site it says that indeterminate toms need pinching out, and T & M describe gardener's delight as indeterminate. If anyone has found it better not to pinch out GD's please post a reply, as I always find other peoples advice really useful on this site. Cheers

:oops:  :oops:  spot on you are right sorry folk's, I'm sure I never pinch out my GD's  :oops:  any way T&M say they are cordon so go that way  :oops:

Quote from: "Alex 98"
Interesting tip about reducing watering towards the point of harvest
I'll try that this year
 :tongue2:
Alex 98

Alex please note that I do this towards the end of the season if you do this at any other time you risk splitting your fruit, It's best done when there's just a few well formed trusses left, I also harvest all my green tom's before 1st frosts they keep and ripen well if stored in boxes in a cool but frost free place.

Try this Illustrated Index of tomatoes for double checking bush or cordon varieties.

I don't know why you are blushing there Rich, these guides one gets differ by source, thing is other than proper vine - several metres, like red and yellow pear for example - which are the only proper indet ones, most are bushes of diff size, they still get graded for indeterminate, etc., which is just a growing guideline on our climate.

I had GD in a window box last year, never pinched, fruited well and still was ripening fruit in Jan. :wink:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

meterman

• Experienced Member
Bigger & tastier toms!
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2008, 21:08 »
Hi i solved watering problem by replacing greenhouse soil with horse manure and plant directly into, only compost used is in 3 1/5 inch pot. Result more time between waterings + sweeter fruit

woodburner

Bigger & tastier toms!
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2008, 22:34 »
Gong back to the GD discussion, I've long understood that it can be grown either as cordons or as bushes. From personal experience, if growing in containers, I'd stick to cordon though. If I have enough space left when my seedlings are ready to go out, I'm going to try them in open ground as bushes this year.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

muntjac

Bigger & tastier toms!
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2008, 23:00 »
if you have a baby about ,,,, take the nappies and soak in a bucket of water for a day to break down any solids remove and dump the nappies if they are not terry ...then leave for about a week with a lid on the bucket stir once or twice then use the water asa feed for toms ,,,,,,,,,,, realll tasty ... :D
still alive /............

xx
How can i grow tastier earlies?

Started by Booboo79 on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post June 28, 2013, 09:33
by rawrecruit
xx
bigger the set ?

Started by Brassica Blaz on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 15, 2010, 16:17
by prakash_mib
xx
Are my beetroot going to get any bigger?

Started by banf77 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 14, 2016, 09:54
by Aled
xx
I want bigger beetroot

Started by amandaandherveg on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post September 29, 2008, 22:54
by Ice

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 38 queries.