Cabbage Root Maggot

• 3 Replies

Greengiant152

Cabbage Root Maggot
« on: June 28, 2013, 01:00 »
Recently lost quite a number of my cabbages and cauliflower to what I suspect is cabbage root fly, roots have maggots through them, even though I had brassica collars on. Infact nearly all of my fellow allotment holders are in the same boat. Is it possible that our manure could already have had the larvae in it. Is it ok to replant new transplants in the same area. A friend had suggested using micromesh, and I have been trying to source it in the colour green as I was hoping to make a semi-permanent cover to match the colour of my raised beds. Fussy I know but the plot is a blank canvas for my art lol, trying to make it ornate at the same time as grow our own produce.

stainesbloke

Re: Cabbage Root Maggot
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 01:53 »
2 of my brassicas came out today as they were small/stunted. Basically no root left! Couldn't see maggots though. All my brassicas have cabbage collars on too, do am not sure how that happened lol. Dug a small hole, hoiked out soil, planted new plants and filled in with soil from elsewhere. Fingers crossed!!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 08:43 »
You seem to have such a big problem with brassica root fly that I would recommend you try 'Nemasys Grow Your Own'.

It's a biological control containing nematodes and is active against: carrot root fly, cabbage root fly, leatherjackets, cutworms, onion fly, ants, sciarid fly, caterpillars, gooseberry sawfly, thrips, and codling moth.

http://www.nematodesdirect.co.uk/7-nemasys-grow-your-own

Google around for the best price. 

You will need to net them against butterflies but that netting is much cheaper than the very fine netting you would need to keep the flies out.

Greengiant152

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 11:47 »
Thanks Sally!!

xx
Lettuce root maggot

Started by Ghost on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 14:56
by Ghost
xx
Cabbage root fly.....Help

Started by Gardening Mark on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 12, 2007, 07:23
by Aunt Sally
xx
Cabbage root fly

Started by LottieSue on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 31, 2012, 19:32
by allot2learn
xx
Cabbage Root Fly

Started by Zak the Rabbit on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 28, 2006, 17:12
by Zak the Rabbit

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 39 queries.