Egg Bound

• 4 Replies

Prod

Egg Bound
« on: July 20, 2012, 15:45 »
My ancona was egg bound (I suspected)  a few weeks ago. I put her in a bucket of warm water (as advised) and it seemed to do the trick.  Ive had to do the same again today as she hasnt laid for 4 days & I can feel a 'lump' near her vent which the other girls who have laid today do noy have. 

What causes a hen to be egg bound and is there something I could give her to help??

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
Re: Egg Bound
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 21:37 »
Im sure someone with more knowledge can help but im sure a little oil on some bread or something can help but correct me if im wrong. You could try the warm water again but if it is happening often it may be an idea to get her checked by a vet. I thought one of my hens were egg bound at one point and it turned out she was just having a break from laying so your little lady may just be doing the same. :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 22:28 »
sometimes they can suffer with a type of cramp which stops the muscles allowing the egg to move - this is why sitting when you place then in a sink of warm water their muscles relax allowing the egg to travel along.
Also if they are about to lay a soft shelled or shell-less egg this can give them problems as their muscles have nothing to push along. This can go on for a few days and they can look really miserable throughout this time. Do they have access to crushed oyster shell all the time.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Prod

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 07:02 »
Hi  She seems quite perky,no different from usual. She has always been quite vocal.  She is eating Ok  and they have a bowl full of oyster grit available all the time which I have seen her eating.  I thought of giving her some oil but not sure which one or how much.  I ll see how she gets on today.

kegs

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 11:56 »
Cod Liver Oil.   ;)

xx
Egg bound

Started by suep on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 20, 2009, 12:06
by poultrygeist
xx
Is She Egg Bound?

Started by pookey on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post June 05, 2008, 22:25
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
how do you know if a hen is egg bound

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 17, 2009, 13:43
by poultrygeist
xx
egg bound?

Started by nerdle on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post February 14, 2014, 18:31
by joyfull

Page created in 0.264 seconds with 36 queries.