how do you know if a hen is egg bound

• 1 Replies

nzdunn

how do you know if a hen is egg bound
« on: September 17, 2009, 11:21 »
I posted that my cassie didnt lay yesterday and she hasnt laid today either, now i know that it is expected for them to slow down,   last nite when i was poo picking i noticed a pile of wot looked like jelly and then under the poo the yello yolk, near to it also was the shell of an egg but it was really really soft, now im not sure if that was cassie that did that, it was about 7.pm last nite when i noticed it and im sure it had only just been done.   But then cassie has never had any probs laying her eggs are lovely and the shells are always hard, im thinking this egg might have belonged to Hazel my barnie, this could have been her first egg :) i will be pleased if it is.    I just wanted to ask if you have a girl that is egg bound do they display any symptoms or anything like that.    Think i might be worrying toooo much as usual.   Advice greatly appreciated.   nickyxxx

poultrygeist

Re: how do you know if a hen is egg bound
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 13:43 »
Sounds like she's just laid a softy and maybe had a peck at it too.

They're not pleasant for them to lay as they have nothign to push against. If they're egg bound, I think you should be able to feel (carefully) a firm 'lump' underneath, behind the vent somewhere. It would normally be slack.

If you make sure she has sufficient calcium available, she should be fine. :)

Rob 8)

xx
Egg bound

Started by T C on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 06, 2010, 21:18
by T C
xx
Egg bound hen

Started by beulah59 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post December 04, 2009, 15:22
by beulah59
xx
pol egg bound

Started by greenjay on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 18, 2020, 06:52
by New shoot
xx
Is she egg bound?

Started by KNewbyRobson on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post January 02, 2009, 21:59
by matthew2riches

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 36 queries.