How can i make my wine sweeter - and I need half size bottles for wine.

• 10 Replies

composthappens

I made some wine from a wine kit at Wilcos in march, it has turned out really nice but i like my wine sweeter, any tips for making it sweeter? do i add more  brewing sugar?

also does anyone know where i can get half size wine bottles because i like a drink but dont want the rest of the wine to go off in a big bottle once opened.

Thank you, Jackie. ::)

Auntiemogs

I think you can use Splenda Jackie but I'm sure someone will let me know if I'm wrong.  ::) :lol:

Have you thought about using the small plastic water bottles? 

Mags
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Lardman

If you've killed off the yeast you could just add some dissolved sugar in syrup form, or you can sweeten with none fermentable sugars.  Next time you brew you could stop the wine a little sooner so there's still some sugar left, I've pinched these hydrometer values from elsewhere

Dry <1000
medium dry - 1000-1010
medium sweet 1010-1020
sweet 1020-1030
dessert 1030-1040

Small bottles : I found the small 500ml fizzy water bottles the cheapest way to buy smaller bottles a pint is around 2 good glasses.  (I just pour from a DJ now  :blush:  :nowink: )

composthappens

thank you for your replies, I was convinced I had to use glass bottles with corks. Can I use little plastic bottles with screw tops then?  That is really helpful.  :D

Kleftiwallah

When needed, I use 'Young's Wine sweetener.  5ml to a bottle of finished wine.  Add 5ml then check, only then add another 5ml if needed.

Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

composthappens

Thanks Tony this sounds the easiest, I wonder if I can get that from wilkos.

composthappens

can you not add the sweetener when the fermentation is over?

Capt Zero

• Experienced Member
Hi...can I clear up a misunderstanding about campden tablets... :D

This link Here is from Wikipedia which will explain it all.

"From man’s sweat and God’s love, beer came into the world."
–Saint Arnold of Metz, The patron Saint of Brewers

Capt Zero

• Experienced Member
Hi Bobe...

Campden tablets just 'stun' the remaining yeast but do not kill it with any degree of success,  If you want to stop a fermentation you need to add potassium sorbate which will do a proper job. Potassium sorbate prevents the existing yeast from multiplying..kind of like "birth control" for yeast..with very little chance of fermentation restating.  Campden Tablets were not designed to stop a fermentation.

We like a medium wine, so I check my wines with a hydrometer when I think it's right that's when I stop the fermentation. Don't forget that you can taste a wine at anytime while in the FV, the wine that goes into the test jar gets drunk after checking it... :lol: if it's what my better half & I like, that it.

Another way to stop yeast is to cold crash...this helps with clearing. While cold crashing doesn't necessarily kill the yeast, there's just not a lot of yeast left or much sugar for them to feed on. But if you want to play it safe, you can add campden tablets and potassium sorbate.

Take a look .. Here this guys very good

With back sweetning the wine, I only do this (if needed) by the bottle on the day....if that makes sense.. ;)

ilan

• Experienced Member
Its very difficult to kill yeasts so just let it go dry rack and bottle it , then sweeten as you use it a couple of sweetex tablets or candrel as is non fermentable adding campden tablets can give a very strong sulpher nose
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

Jackypam

That's ok if you like the taste of sweeteners!  I have found the Camden tablet and sugar syrup works well ( with country wines, but I can't see it makes much difference! Never tried the kit ones).  Just adding sugar syrup has led to some interesting bottle explosions though, thought we were being burgled one warm night! So be a bit careful. 

xx
Wine Bottles

Started by Teen76 on Homebrew

8 Replies
Last post January 17, 2009, 10:41
by SpudtheBinx
question
Screw top wine bottles

Started by Oakdalebirds1 on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post August 18, 2013, 16:10
by BobE
xx
Can i make wine from this?

Started by fallen angel on Homebrew

17 Replies
Last post September 04, 2008, 16:37
by adodman
xx
How easy is it to make wine?

Started by Casey76 on Homebrew

11 Replies
Last post June 22, 2012, 11:29
by Growster...

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 35 queries.