Parsnips

• 16 Replies

oleanders

Parsnips
« on: August 17, 2006, 19:13 »
Hi we are new members who live in Greece, our parsnips have been in a couple of months and the tops look really big and bushy, how do you know when they are ready?

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
Parsnips
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 08:29 »
I just do this with my carrots, I think it works with parsnips too, gently brush the soil away from the tops and see how wide across they are. For parsnips, I'd say they have to be at least 2 inches across. Parsnips take a long time to grow... I wouldn't expect them to be ready yet. The ones I planted back in March are nowhere near ready. Plus they'll get sweeter after the frost gets to them so leave them in the ground as long as possible and only pull up what you can eat immediately.
We "thinned" some of our's a few weeks ago... we thought they'd be a nice size since they had huge bushy growth and were about as wide as a carrot on the top... pulled them and they were about 3-4 inches long  :oops:  :lol: Ah well, roasted baby parsnips whole weren't so bad!
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

Oliver

FROST!
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 09:13 »
Quote from: "Heather_S"
they'll get sweeter after the frost gets to them so leave them in the ground as long as possible and only pull up what you can eat immediately.
Hello Oleanders, do you get frost in Greece? Do Greeks normally grow parsnips!? (Her 6 parsnips are nice and bushy but still about as big as Heather_S's. Oliver.
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

jgsmuzzy

Parsnips
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 11:47 »
I know they had snow in athens this January.  (photo courtesy of national geographic)

An absolute novice!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Parsnips
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 10:08 »
We stayed in Fourka in Greece a couple of times and the cafe owner showed me photo's of snow on the beach - I think it was pretty unusual.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Oliver

Show!
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 12:28 »
Quote from: "jgsmuzzy"
I know they had snow in athens this January.  (photo courtesy of national geographic)
Well! fancy that. Looks like cotton!

oleanders

Parsnips
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 09:46 »
we don't get to much frost here,we are 4hours drive south of Athens,into the peloponnese.
I have not seen any parsnips here yet ,the dozen or so I have look good from the top,I am going to leave them until Christmas and see what happens.
fingers crossed!!

mum of 3

• Experienced Member
Parsnips
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 11:15 »
what a beautiful photo.good luck with your parsnips

philsmith1967

Parsnips
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006, 20:40 »
Minimum of 7 months in our climate I would say

Debz and Jon

Parsnips
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006, 16:51 »
Hello grandad, your parsnips looked fine when we were there but ours look better, our new carrots are coming through and our baby beets will be ready for Christmas - yum yum, had loads of runners beans and picked some raspberries to make something with for Christmas, thanks for a lovely holiday love you loads xxx

oleanders

Parsnips
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2006, 09:48 »
Quote from: "Debz and Jon"
Hello grandad, your parsnips looked fine when we were there but ours look better, our new carrots are coming through and our baby beets will be ready for Christmas - yum yum, had loads of runners beans and picked some raspberries to make something with for Christmas, thanks for a lovely holiday love you loads xxx

Hi Debs,you had better have a good crop for Christmas,we are looking forward to some good home grown veggies .
Parsnips still going mad but if it stays as hot they will come up cooked.
love you loads
grandad.
Fancy coming over to pick the olives!!

trapper

Parsnips
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2006, 18:54 »
My Parsnips are Pants this year (White Gem) slug attacks and just small, last year they was brill. decided to leave em in ground until nov/dec to see if they improve . Or should I bite the bullet and yank em out?.
I guess I could just shred em and make wine , your thoughts on a postcard please to PARSNIPS WOT TO DO,. Failing that just put summat on the forum.
Trapper
The things I sow sometimes dont grow I'm sorley disenchanted. But oh what fun I have with stuff ,I havn't even planted.

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
Parsnips
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2006, 19:35 »
They keep better in the ground. They're a "lift when needed" crop. So even if they're pathetic, you can say they're posh baby parsnips ;)

oleanders

Re: Parsnips
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2006, 20:46 »
Quote from: "trapper"
My Parsnips are Pants this year (White Gem) slug attacks and just small, last year they was brill. decided to leave em in ground until nov/dec to see if they improve . Or should I bite the bullet and yank em out?.
I guess I could just shred em and make wine , your thoughts on a postcard please to PARSNIPS WOT TO DO,. Failing that just put summat on the forum.
Trapper

I DONT THINK PARSNIT WINE SOUNDS TO EXCITING BEST TO LEAVE THEM LIE A WHILE BUT THANKS ANYWAY. OLEANDERS

oleanders

Parsnips
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2006, 20:50 »
Quote from: "Heather_S"
They keep better in the ground. They're a "lift when needed" crop. So even if they're pathetic, you can say they're posh baby parsnips ;)

SOUNDS A BETTER BET THAN PARSNIP WINE, THANKYOU.
OLEANDERS

xx
Parsnips. Whats the rot inside my parsnips? Photo attached

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 21:32
by philsmith1967
xx
parsnips

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post August 03, 2015, 18:42
by sunshineband
xx
parsnips

Started by chrissie B on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 10, 2010, 07:42
by Jamie Butterworth
xx
parsnips

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 06, 2013, 07:10
by Lisbon67

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 38 queries.