Dry polytunnel

• 5 Replies

Mark's Sussex Allotment

• 38 year old male, Married father of two
    • Mark's Sussex Allotment
Dry polytunnel
« on: May 12, 2020, 22:01 »
Hi all,

I didn’t do anything last year in my poly tunnel as I broke my wrist and missed the whole growing season.

This year, no matter how much I water it, I cannot seem to get it wet, and it’s dry and dusty about 2 inches down.

Any help appreciated.
When weeding, the best way to know if its a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull it.

If it comes out easy, it was a valuable plant !

DIY GRANDAD

Re: Dry polytunnel
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 23:41 »
Well, on exposed land I woud 'dust mulch' it. i.e. Keep hoeing it and the top layer will become more dusty but trap moisture below, which will eventually rise. I can't see why it would not work under cover.

Wearing my farmer's hat, this is what a lot of sugar beet growers used to do before total chemical agriculture took over and cultivating between the rows stopped. Its something I have always done with my veg plots too. DIYG

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 08:27 »
Do you have access to a tap from which you could run a seeper hose (one with small holes along its length) overnight, perhaps?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 10:24 »
Have you dug/forked it over, so that any water you put on can penetrate easily?
At least get the fork in a wiggle it about a bit, even if it's too dry to dig as normal - the water will get in eventually, but it has had over a year with no rain, so will really need a lot of water before it's anything like normal.

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 10:42 »
I think putting the soaker hose on plus the loosening of at least the top inch should start it off the a large application of a well rotted mulch, perhaps with cardboard underneath & then the soaker hose on top again  & you should be ready to plant after a day or to.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

minipip

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2020, 15:19 »
I had a similar problem in my new polytunnel - the top 10" of soil was bone-dry. As we are not allowed to use hoses on site,  I dug holes about 3' apart and 1' deep and filled them with water.

Every time the water had drained away I filled it again and repeated this until the water remained in the hole - it took about 8 watering cans of water over a couple of days.  I then lightly dug over the bed to distribute the damp soil and then repeated the whole thing again.

Lots of work but it worked for me and now my plants are growing strongly.  Good luck :)

xx
new polytunnel

Started by 3 allotments on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post March 18, 2013, 15:15
by 3 allotments
xx
Polytunnel

Started by Simon1955 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post January 07, 2013, 15:19
by stompy
xx
my new polytunnel

Started by Green man on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

6 Replies
Last post March 18, 2014, 21:38
by 3759allen
xx
Using a polytunnel

Started by Kathie on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post March 04, 2011, 17:28
by Kathie

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 41 queries.