3in1 soil testers

• 7 Replies

safetrade

3in1 soil testers
« on: April 27, 2012, 17:44 »
Hi,has anyone used one of the cheap 3in1 soil testers I think they test the ph,moisture and light.I was wondering if they were any use at all for the price, they are charging less than £4.00 for them in some places ::)thanks.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: 3in1 soil testers
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 18:51 »
Have you got a link to the product or any sellers of it?

I'm not sure how many people would really feel the need to test pH, moisture, and "light."  :unsure: I'm assuming it's a soil probe device, which are usually just for pH, and generally they don't seem to have impressed members on here in the past.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 18:56 »
I was given one a few years ago. Says pH is 8 no matter what you put it in- soil,water, a lemon- all pH8. For light I use my eyes and my finger is quite good for detecting moisture so overall I haven't found it very useful.

tonel

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 19:00 »
I bought one recently - moisture and light reading seem to work but the pH didn't seem to change at all (tried a few different parts of the allotment including a couple of limed beds - reading was pretty much the same everywhere).

Seems the pH testing kits might be the way to go (although more expensive)

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 19:30 »
Being gullible, I bought one off the intynet last year. The ph and moisture readings alter
depending on how deep the probe is. Now I know moisture content can alter with depth, but I did a little test with a glass of water. Just dip the probes in and it registers moist. The deeper you go into the glass the wetter it reads. Now as far as I can see, 100% water is as moist as it gets, regardless of depth. Ph does a similar thing when put at various depths into the same soil. Why you need light intensity is beyond me (especially on a day like today). Save your pennies and get out for a pint.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 19:52 »
Do you mean IV or UV Tayty? (don't know what an IV lamp is!)

Anyone who tries to keep aquarium plants growing (me!) or has viewed websites about how to grow the sort of "herbs" best not mentioned on here (also me, but by accident!  ::)) will know that you need full-spectrum lamps, or lamps colour-balanced for specific growing applications, and they need to be both quite powerful, very close to the plants, and switched on for a long time every day.

It's an infra red Jay. The sort you get for muscular aches and pains. Supposed to do colds good too. So that's another brainwave shot down in a blaze of glory! :(

Don't give up Tayty!  :ohmy: Dragon's Den needs inventive minds like yours!  ;)

How about a 6-in-one probe which measures pH, moisture, light, when to fertilise, when to harvest, and when to say "b*gger it" and go down the pub for a pint?  :lol:

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 20:12 »
Do you mean IV or UV Tayty? (don't know what an IV lamp is!)

Anyone who tries to keep aquarium plants growing (me!) or has viewed websites about how to grow the sort of "herbs" best not mentioned on here (also me, but by accident!  ::)) will know that you need full-spectrum lamps, or lamps colour-balanced for specific growing applications, and they need to be both quite powerful, very close to the plants, and switched on for a long time every day.

How did you get a reply to the grow light thread onto the soil tester thread? ???

It's an infra red Jay. The sort you get for muscular aches and pains. Supposed to do colds good too. So that's another brainwave shot down in a blaze of glory! :(

Don't give up Tayty!  :ohmy: Dragon's Den needs inventive minds like yours!  ;)

How about a 6-in-one probe which measures pH, moisture, light, when to fertilise, when to harvest, and when to say "b*gger it" and go down the pub for a pint?  :lol:

safetrade

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 21:12 »
£3.95 delivered from hong kong,I don't know why I really needed to ask if they were any good or not  :)

wireless
soil testers

Started by compoQ on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post May 26, 2010, 19:28
by compoQ
xx
Soil pH and nutrient testers.

Started by Goosegirl on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post February 25, 2021, 21:03
by Yorkie
xx
Probe-type Ph Testers - Any good?

Started by Hesse2509 on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post March 07, 2012, 10:20
by Vit
xx
Soil ph tester

Started by Poolfield2 on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post March 01, 2009, 23:01
by Duracell

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 36 queries.