Are electric rotavators/tillers any good?

• 10 Replies

Casey76

Are electric rotavators/tillers any good?
« on: May 13, 2011, 14:16 »
Hi, I have a bit of a fear about fuel driven tools, and I was just wondering if electric rotavators/tillers are actually work buying (light/occasional work only - turning over the ground in the chicken pens!)

Gwiz

Re: Are electric rotavators/tillers any good?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 18:26 »
For some reason I keep getting the words "teapot" and "chocolate" coming into my head when ever someone mentions the words "tiller" and  "electric"
I must book another appointment at the "Quacks" (no pun intended to a poultry moderator)  :D

Most of the electric tools of this description that I have come accross have been a waste of effort. I'm sure there must be some good ones, it's just that I've not seen any, I'm sure.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 19:29 »
They make an electric Mantis, isn't this any good either?

grendel

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 19:44 »
to me the thought of cables dragging over the ground while digging it over scares the heck out of me - I would be more afraid of clipping a cable than I would ever be over a small engine.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Vit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 23:01 »
Electric what?! Tiller?!  :ohmy: If it's cordless i would give it a small chance, otherwise NO

Gwiz

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 06:17 »
They make an electric Mantis, isn't this any good either?

Grendel put it far better than I
to me the thought of cables dragging over the ground while digging it over scares the heck out of me - I would be more afraid of clipping a cable than I would ever be over a small engine.
Grendel

grendel

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 09:31 »
if you do get an electric one make sure you get an RCD plug to plug it into. the RCD needs to be at the only thing the appliances plug is plugged into - even if there is an RCD further down the line, this is to ensure its correct operation, if the trip is too far down the line it wont protect you as well. I have a very healthy respect for electricity since I work in the industry.
Grendel

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 09:37 »
The risk cannot be worse than an using an electric mower or power saw etc  :wacko:
and still doesn't tell us if they actually work well or not................just that some of you don't like using electric powered ones  :nowink:

smud6ie

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 10:00 »
Where some electric tools may be used with great care  for certain limited gardening tasks I think most of us petrol heads are not for electric gardening tools so unlikely to recommend them.
All I can add is: Last year I was talking to a friend who has a small holding and several poly tunnels about Rotavators.
He has a couple of petrol ones and an electic one from lidl which he uses insde the tunnel and says he would not be without it,so much so that he bought a second one in case the first goes wrong and they stop selling them!
I have not used one so this is definately not a recommendation , can't desert the brotherhood ;) :lol:
smud6ie
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 10:09 by smud6ie »

grendel

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 10:18 »
The risk cannot be worse than an using an electric mower or power saw etc  :wacko:
and still doesn't tell us if they actually work well or not................just that some of you don't like using electric powered ones  :nowink:
What you say is true Mumofstig, any electric tool has that potential and should be used with a good RCD to prevent a deadly electric shock. when you use them the best place for the lead is over your shoulder first then route the cable well away from where you are working. Always pay attention to where your lead is at all times.
Grendel

Dominic

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 11:33 »
http://www.dobies.co.uk/Shop/Gardening+Equipment/Garden+Tools/Garden+Cultivators/Electric+Tiller+580335.htm?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=freedirectory&utm_campaign=Gardening-Equipment&utm_term=580335&of_tid=050QccK3Aub1dw_fURfffZEC3p6hmN41xxROJvWE7aB5L7Xp_cwtVi4uafOxVd8U

I've got something similar to that, it was about £70 three years ago.
It did the job, cant really deal with any large stones, they jam between the blades and the top cover and are a pain to get out (I've not used it for at least a year because ones stuck), its a hammer and chisel job to break the stone and pull out.
At the end of the day, 750w is 1 horse power.  And electric is a lot more efficient than petrol, so your probably looking at 1.5hp in reality.
so a 3.5hp petrol one will knock its socks off, but for just chewing up the ground in the chicken run, more than adequate.
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

xx
alternative use for tillers/ rotavators?....

Started by aardvark on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post February 19, 2011, 11:38
by Gwiz
xx
Electric Rotovators? any good

Started by Mbmyco2 on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post May 01, 2013, 07:49
by grendel
xx
Looking for a Good Quality Electric Lawnmower

Started by wbmkk on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post July 29, 2021, 22:00
by Yorkie
xx
After a good but cheap electric propagator?

Started by ferret1988 on Equipment Shed

19 Replies
Last post November 27, 2012, 14:53
by zombiepaw

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 37 queries.