alternative use for tillers/ rotavators?....

• 7 Replies

aardvark

alternative use for tillers/ rotavators?....
« on: February 18, 2011, 20:52 »
Thanks to this forum, I have my merry tiller (titan) up and running and looking forward to tilling the allotment.

However this has had me thinking... what do others use their tillers / rotavators for other than tilling?

I know it would only take a minute to take the belt off and slip on another that is running to another machine / pump / zeppelin...

So what are your ideas? (apologies if this has been asked before).

Cheers

Aardvark

ex-cavator

Re: alternative use for tillers/ rotavators?....
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 23:58 »
Don't know what others might use their rotavators for, but what might others use as a rotavator?

Reason I ask - many years ago as a schoolboy I was walking my usual route home from school after a winter gale, and noticed a shed had blown down in a cottage garden, revealing a pair of girder forks (early motorcycle) sticking out from beneath a tarpaulin.

I ran home to tell my Dad, he was round there like a shot, came home an hour later beaming from ear to ear and pushing an ex-Military WWII Indian Scout motorcycle with two flat tyres, that he'd paid £10 for.

The old boy who owned it had given up riding it because he couldn't manage it anymore, and was planning to make a rotavator out of it  :D

Gwiz

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 07:19 »
I know that there were a whole load of other attachments for some merry tillers including a powered cart, grass trimmer, there might have also been a highly dangerous log saw.
We have a couple of very knowledgeable members ( R Tallentire and "Dori" ) who will know far more about these than I do.
I'm sure that they will be around at some point. :)

muckshifter

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 07:21 »
A few years ago at the Great Dorset Steam Fair a chap was showing a"rotovatator" made from a B.S.A 250,I'm not sure if it was a C11 or C11G,Idid'nt see it working but it had been earlier.
I do'nt think it would have got a C.E mark,probably a few hours down A&E,a rum looking thing.  :ohmy:
My Landmaster Kestrel Deluxe rotavator has an auxillary duplex A section pulley under a removable cover on the end of the crankshaft to drive other machinary,never used it though as I have a few stationary engines for that kind of thing.

smud6ie

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 08:17 »
I have merry tiller titan.a soil lever,snow plough,rotary mower and a trailer with a circular carriage on one end that a merry tiller fits inside and can be used standing behind the handles walking pushing the load or stood inside the trailer pulling a reduced load because the driver takes up space.I got the lot from a deceased friends wife,I used to do all his repairs from the late 1960's and when he died 3years ago she thought I may like them.
They  had a Smallholding and used the trailer extensivly for carrying milk churns of water to his cattle and all his wood for his WB cooker and stoves.
If anyone is interested I can take some pics and post them.
smud6ie

Gwiz

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 08:29 »
I'd like to see them if you get the time to take the photo's. :)

smud6ie

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 11:25 »

Ok a few pics!
The tiller with spade lug or pnumatic tyres replacing the rotors sits insde the rotating channel of the turntable held in place by a couple of pins.At the moment they are hard to see because I have welded a box section across the to make a draw bar to couple it to my Countax.
The sides and tailgate  fold down to form a flat bed which also tips.
I remember when I bought my Norlett 6000 1n 1976 I could have bought a similar one to fit on it.
smud6ie

Gwiz

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 11:38 »
Superb :)
They don't make 'em like that any more.

xx
Are electric rotavators/tillers any good?

Started by Casey76 on Equipment Shed

10 Replies
Last post May 31, 2011, 11:33
by Dominic
xx
Merry Tillers

Started by Ice on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post March 08, 2009, 20:09
by shaun
xx
Rotovators/Tillers etc

Started by jmx on Equipment Shed

13 Replies
Last post January 31, 2007, 05:42
by Gwiz
xx
Mantis Tillers

Started by Sparkyrog on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post March 02, 2013, 19:42
by Sparkyrog

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 34 queries.