inherited chicks - urgent some dont look so great

• 2 Replies

jobson336

• Experienced Member
inherited chicks - urgent some dont look so great
« on: August 15, 2010, 23:03 »
ive just inherited quite a few chicks and some turkey chicks today, the guy was selling up and was getting rid of everyting so i took them.
they are in several brooder boxes at the moment under lamps, some have very pooy bums and i have cleaned them off, is there a reason why they are bunged up? and can i give them something to help stop it from happening again?
one of the chicks (couple of weeks old) has a funny cough/shrill like sound like its trying to clear its throat any ideas?
would like to give them the best chance if they have not been looked after properly. any advice welcome.
thanks
 :(

Thingy

• Experienced Member
  • Budding Animal Behaviourist :)
Re: inherited chicks - urgent some dont look so great
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 23:11 »
I hate it when I have 'inherited' birds. They are all sobs stories and everyone is like 'Thingy is trained in animal management, she will take them in'! Before I know it, I'm cutting scaley leg build up off, or I am housing wild ducks with eye problems ( i hate eyes) ¬.¬

Ok rant over. I don't mind really, its just I am a student on a student budget here hahaha :)

How old are the chicks? Sometimes they can get pooey bums from the stress of the move or if they have lived in stressfull environments before. Just watch them and if it doesn't clear up in a few days then start to worry, not worry now :). Keep cleaning the poo off the chicks bums, very important. We don't want blockages to occur.

Can't help you with the coughing one. I am having that problem myself. I would say keep it under the heat lamp, but make sure it can get away from the heat if needs be.
When the wolf lays with the lamb, I fear for us all

hillfooter

Re: inherited chicks - urgent some dont look so great
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 23:23 »
ive just inherited quite a few chicks and some turkey chicks today, the guy was selling up and was getting rid of everyting so i took them.
they are in several brooder boxes at the moment under lamps, some have very pooy bums and i have cleaned them off, is there a reason why they are bunged up? and can i give them something to help stop it from happening again?
one of the chicks (couple of weeks old) has a funny cough/shrill like sound like its trying to clear its throat any ideas?
would like to give them the best chance if they have not been looked after properly. any advice welcome.
thanks
 :(

Personally I'd cull the coughing one for the sake of the others or at least isolate it.  They don't sound like a very healthy bunch.  What were they being fed on and if possible use the same changing feed could cause the runny droppings.  There's no blood is there which would indicate cocci.  If so you need some medication for their water.  If not just keep them under observation and if there's no improvement or any deterioration see a vet.
HF
Truth through science.

xx
Advice on New Chicks sort of urgent!!

Started by Prod on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post December 14, 2013, 17:39
by splash101
xx
Urgent help needed re baby chicks!!!

Started by Mischief on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 16, 2012, 13:20
by Sassy
xx
Trying to 'clean' an Inherited Ark .......... Arrghhh please help

Started by SurreyLass on The Hen House

34 Replies
Last post April 16, 2011, 17:11
by SurreyLass
xx
What age can chicks be mixed with other chicks with no bother?

Started by gracie on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 07:53
by gracie

Page created in 0.267 seconds with 38 queries.