Bad day at the chicken run!

• 15 Replies

Bev

• Experienced Member
Bad day at the chicken run!
« on: May 06, 2010, 20:19 »
Hi,

I have written to you all about Buffy the egg eating chicken before and you gave me some excellent advise. Well I have tried...

1 Blowing an egg and filling it with mustard - she ate it!

2 Blowing an egg and filling it with Hot Chilli powder and mustard - she ate it!

3 Limestone Flour supplement to try and get her egg shells a bit tougher - didn't seem to make much difference.

4 New brand of food - doesn't seem to have made any difference to the quality of her egg shells

I have also sought advice from a vet, didn't pay for it fortunately, he said it sounds as if she has something wrong with her reproductive tract and usually a hen will start to lay eggs with firm shells again after a moult or after going broody due to changes in hormone levels.

Trouble is she has just this week started to eat everyone elses eggs too - disaster - I think she will have to go! Has any one got any last ideas to try and save Buffy!!! I try to get the eggs out at every oportunity but on the days I work I can't always get them all in the morning and it is about 5pm before my second visit to the hen run and she just can't resist it if she sees an egg lying around.

Problem 2

I managed to get rid of the rats but we have a new rat visiter, I bought a different brand of poison this time and they don't seem to be eating it, does any one know which is their favourite sort? This new one I have looks like brown pellets, are the blue corn sort better?

themagicaltoad1

Re: Bad day at the chicken run!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 20:31 »
You could try a china egg. A few days of trying to break into that might make her lose the habit.

Pretty Chick

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 21:01 »
The only thing I can help you on is Buffy eating the eggs. What I would do is put a few golf balls or possibly rubber eggs in, so that she will peck them and then she might give up pecking the real eggs.
Hope this helps  :D
All lives are precious.

koo

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 23:38 »
I don't know if you have tried this but i friend of mine had rats last year and swears by traps baited with meat and fish sauce poured over the trap. Sounds strange i know but it really worked for her and its not expensive. You'll find it in the chinese section in any good supermarket. I wish you luck  :)

Bev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 14:29 »
Hi,

Thank you so much for your advice. I have a china egg and golf balls so will go and try those straight away.

Don't think I can put meat and fish sauce on the rat trap, I am a bit worried about next doors cats finding it. Thanks for the idea though. I did see 'How Clean is your house' do a rat special on the tv which gave me one or two ideas as well. I am considering buying an expensive electric shock rat trap.

Had a much better time the last two days, managed to get the other 2 eggs out of the hen house before Buffy found them, so she only ate her own, I didn't let them out until 7:45am this morning though and she had eaten hers and one other, at least I got one!

Thanks again,

Bev

Bev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 11:12 »
4 golf balls.

1 china egg.

2 blown eggs full of mustard and hot chilli powder!

Buffy has broken into one of the mustard eggs and she has eaten her own egg every day but I have managed to get the other 2 eggs.

Has anyone ever been successful in stopping a hen eating her eggs? I am just wondering if I am fighting a loosing battle?

Bev

Flowerpower136

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 12:18 »
No idea about egg eating chicken!  What a nightmare!

Re rats, now, I know a lot more about them!

We're semi rural, edge of water, and my hen palace is a great attraction.

We use Mk4 Fenn traps all year round baited with chook food.  Very good a catching the occasional 'big' one passing through and taking an interest.  However, we've recently had a family taking advantage of the compost heap and dry stone wall shed base, and little ones won't set the traps off.  We've had success with Eradibait, which is a non toxic bait, ideal if there are other non target animals about, which does something to the rats digestive system, resulting in them slipping into a coma and not waking up.  You can get it on line.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 07:05 »
make or buy a rollaway nest box  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Bev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 20:37 »
Ooo! That sounds interesting, I will look into that! Thank you.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 07:43 »
if you want to make your own rollaway take a look at this link it shows one version

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=16490.0

or you can buy some ready made like Grannie Annie did, or adapt your own like Karlooben did using bought inserts.

We did see some at the pig and poultry show called chick boxes and Grannie Annie may be able to tell you more about these as she had a look at them  :)

Hope all of that is of some help to you xx

Bev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 20:49 »
Hi,

Thankyou! I actually managed to get Buffy's egg today and yesterday! I wonder if the mustard and hot chilli powder and golf balls and china egg are beginning to work!

I am planning to try the roll-away nest box too, there are 3 nest boxes in the hen house and they all favour the same one. They seem to use the floor of the hen house if not that one so not sure what I will do if they all go and lay on the floor!

Guess I will have to figure that one out when it comes to it! Glad I haven't given up on her yet!

Bev

leddenton

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 15:41 »
We have recently had a rat problem that I think eventually we may have sorted. We have tried all sorts of bait but most successful being peanut butter. We left the trap open for a few days for the rats to realise the bait was there and become confident taking it. Then we set it and have managed to catch 4 over 10 days. May be worth a go.

Spadefighter

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 16:12 »
When we had rats the pest control chap told us to leave checking the bait for a few days as they are suspicious of anything new, use sweet things as trap bait and if you can place bait/trap in a tunnel of some sort they are more likely to try it.

sjlatty

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 18:06 »
Hia new to this forum and unsure on your other chat info.  Is she after the shell or the contents.  Have you tried giving her crushed oyster shells for the calcium or she maybe after extra protein? could try giving her mashed boiled egg and see if it cuts out her cravings.  Wish you all the best x

Pretty Chick

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2010, 18:20 »
could try giving her mashed boiled egg and see if it cuts out her cravings.
I respect your advice given to Bev, sjlatty, but I myself wouldn't feed Buffy boiled eggs because she might get addicted to the taste of egg and may continue to eat the raw eggs.

xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy
xx
how much does a chicken eat?

Started by cejx on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post April 09, 2011, 11:21
by evie2
sad
Ill Chicken :(

Started by Chicken star on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 01, 2010, 15:39
by Trisha
xx
chicken run

Started by samuria on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 27, 2019, 17:14
by grinling

Page created in 0.271 seconds with 37 queries.