Water Butt Offer from Yorkshire Water

• 20 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2006, 21:03 »
That's right qwiz, their argument is that the rain that falls does indeed end up in our case, soaking into the land drains and dykes around the fens, then eventually in their reservoirs etc etc etc.  

But I maintain that the water that falls from the sky belongs to no one, but once its on my little bit of England, Its mine!  Ok, at the moment, like all of you, its only to water my plants, so I still have to pay them for our household water and we are on a meter, so..... tough on them, and if I could go self sufficient with water, I would.  We already have a septic tank, so don't pay those horrendous sewerage charges!!!!!

Jake

• Rockers
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2006, 21:18 »
I believe water collection, including rainwater was banned in Bolivia quite recently but there was such social unrest that the law didn't last any effective amount of time.

The reasons for the ban were very complex but it shows that it really can't be stopped,and nor should it.  It has effectively zero consequence to any water company

I've got 2 water butts at home and there's 2 on our plot so far.
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

Oliver

Water butts provided by Councils
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2006, 18:32 »
Quote from: "Phoenix"
councils should offer free water butts
councils will argue that you pay rent for your plot and the law states that allotment income should be spent on allotments.  So far so good. BUT how much rent do you pay? Would the rent cover the cost of butts? (and all the other things that allotmenteers 'would like'? Rotavating, strimming, fencing, etc etc.
We got our Council to install cattle dringking troughs with ballcocks. The trough fills with water, we scoop it out with our watering cans, buckets, or whatever, and it fills up again while we go and water the plot. We still have taps so we can use hopepipes (when the ban is not in force) to fill our water butts. We are not allowed to use hoses on our plots. Several buckets fill a butt so its pretty stuipd that we can't use a hose to fill the butt, but the bucket is actually quicker!
The troughs work a treat.
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

mellowmick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2006, 15:19 »
When the IMF instructed the Bolivian Government to privatise the water system in the city of Cochabamba, the British company that won the contract not only increased charges until they were the equivalent of a third of the average wage, but they forced people to buy licences to collect rainwater. After a campaign, in which about 8 protesters were shot by the Bolivian army, the Government backed down and re-nationalised it. Shape of things to come?

Jake

• Rockers
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2006, 17:28 »
Quote from: "mellowmick"
When the IMF instructed the Bolivian Government to privatise the water system in the city of Cochabamba, the British company that won the contract not only increased charges until they were the equivalent of a third of the average wage, but they forced people to buy licences to collect rainwater. After a campaign, in which about 8 protesters were shot by the Bolivian army, the Government backed down and re-nationalised it. Shape of things to come?

Careful mellowmick, you don't want to criticise the "free" market now do you? :wink:

It was an effort to industrialise the country as quickly as possible. They've got lots of resources you know. Do they still have a navy?

Anyway, the people wouldn't have it.

Basil Fawlty

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2006, 15:58 »
Just thought I would let you all know that I bought a large water container (800 litres or 176 gallons) from www.smithsofdean.co.uk.  It is an IBC (whatever that means) which was used to transport peanut butter.

I had the choice between a clean one £65.00 or one with peanut butter residue in it.  Being a cheapskate I took the dirty one for £25.00.

It took two hours to remove the peanut butter which amounted to nearly 5 gallons and now I don't know what to do with it.  Any suggestions???

I'm going to paint the container to keep out the light and stop algae growth but I also hope to hide it behind a wooden panel.  It comes enclosed in an aluminium cage on top of a plastic pallett and looks as if it should last forever.  All we need now is some rain to fill it.

I also bought a bore hole pump to extract water from a well which I have in the garden.  It is 75 feet deep and when I started to pump it had 11 feet of water.

After two days of watering the veg the blooming things dried up.  I can't understand how it kept the water and now won't fill up again.  I suppose I'll have to wait and see what happens when it rains.
I may not know what I'm doing but I might as well do something and see what happens.

xx
Cheap water butts and water butt pumps

Started by ConfusedGardener on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post May 07, 2013, 20:50
by ConfusedGardener
xx
Tap For Water butt

Started by pookey on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post July 03, 2007, 05:18
by Gwiz
clip
Water butt

Started by mdjlucan on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post June 25, 2021, 12:27
by grinling
xx
Water butt

Started by mdjlucan on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post August 15, 2018, 14:00
by JayG

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 34 queries.