Leggy tomatoes

• 8 Replies

Bec1

Leggy tomatoes
« on: March 30, 2023, 19:44 »
I got some leggy tomatoes, I remove them from indoors in the house and put them in the greenhouse, should I separate them into there own pots to get strong, they got two leaves onthem

edit to clarify title
« Last Edit: March 31, 2023, 07:32 by New shoot »

steven c

• Experienced Member
Re: Leggy tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2023, 08:38 »
i would pot them up you can plant them quite deep in individual pots they now require more light to avoid becoming leggy  good luck
from bow like to grow

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2023, 09:04 »
Hi Bec,

Yes put them in their own pots. Plant them lower down than they were, so they look the right height as if they're not leggy. Be very careful putting the compost round the stems - they break easily. They'll make extra roots from the buried bit of stem & will be fine.
You can do this with brassicas too & the deep root stop the wind damaging them on the plot. Most other things need planted at the same depth they're growing at.

Next year, when your seedlings are on the window sill, put a sheet of kitchen foil behind them so the light is reflected at them from both sides. It helps but not 100% unless you can afford artificial lights. Mine always get a bit leggy but I plant them as above & they do well.

Windy.

Snowboar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2023, 00:54 »
Pot on plant deep stem will sprout roots

Fernando Alares

• Passionate about gardening and blogging
    • How and When to Prune - Blog about gardening, specialized in pruning any type of plant.
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2023, 17:25 »
Hi there!  :)

If you have leggy tomatoes, it may be necessary to make some adjustments to help them grow strong and healthy. It's a good idea to transplant them into larger pots so they have more space to develop their roots and absorb nutrients from the soil.

If the tomatoes are in small pots and are intertwined, it may be difficult to separate them without damaging the roots. In that case, it may be better to leave them together and transplant them into a larger pot. Make sure to use nutrient-rich potting soil and water regularly, ensuring that the soil is moist but not waterlogged.

It's normal for tomatoes to have only two leaves at first, but they should eventually develop more. As they grow, make sure to provide them with enough light and space to thrive, removing old and damaged leaves as necessary. With proper care, your tomatoes should be healthy and ready to be harvested in a few months. Good luck!

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2023, 06:30 »
I would also sow some more as a back up as from your description it sounds like they were only sown 3-4 weeks ago.

If you start them off indoors find a lighter spot for them this time on your most sunny windowsill. You can put foil behind them to reflect the light in-it makes a big difference especially if you don't have the luxury of south facing windowsills.

LILLILEAF

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2023, 15:51 »
i to have leggy tomatoes they are the worst i have ever grown,is it safe not to cold to put them in the greenhouse, i was worried about frost,i am in north wales,so i will re pot them fingers crossed they should be ok and i am not to far behind.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2023, 19:06 »
If you can find a space indoors to have a fluorescent shop light, it can make all the difference in producing strong seedlings.  My lights are nothing fancy, and not expensive. Each fixture holds 2 straight lamps 4 feet long, the size is called T8 over here. They are not grow lights specifically, but they are daylight spectrum. You can also get them in different lengths of course.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2023, 19:41 »
I give my tomato seedlings 14 hour of light each day and they don’t get leggy.  I use LED grow lights.   

If you can’t do this you must try to increase the light levels somehow.  The aluminium foil trick is a good one.  A bright window - but not south facing as the heat of the sun could burn them - is necessary.  I shied them from bright sunshine with a fleece curtain.
A833C61F-7409-48AC-8A00-4F9C348E1471.jpeg
B19BE283-2872-4B06-B6AC-60EEBC088320.jpeg

xx
Tomatoes going leggy already?

Started by rhysdad on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post March 17, 2010, 22:44
by viettaclark
xx
Leggy tomatoes & peppers

Started by Nana1 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 07, 2018, 21:25
by Nana1
xx
Leggy greenhouse tomatoes

Started by Turnba on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 09, 2013, 00:22
by Headgardener22
xx
Will my leggy toms be OK?

Started by vineweevil1 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 08, 2009, 12:14
by Kristen

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 45 queries.