Ideas on how to fix our green house roof would be appreciated.

• 6 Replies

OurAllotment

• Our Allotment Blog
Funnily enough the roof leaks, whoever fixed it like this must have thought they done a good job, but now it has left us with a bit of a headache, if you do take the panels out, where as it would have just been frame, you now have lots of what I guess is mastic.

Looked into glass, which seem a costly exercise.
Looked into plastic, but we are on a hill and it seems could be blown out,
Did think of putting a covering of some sort of plastic right the way over, but would need it weighing down, other wise it will blow off like a balloon.

Do you have anything which has worked for you? The frame seems sound enough, just need to sort so our lass can use it drip free.
GREEN HOUSE ROOF 2.jpg
GREEN HOUSE ROOF1.jpg
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 20:50 by OurAllotment »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Ideas on how to fix our green house roof would be appreciated.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 21:09 »
The roof usually only has frame parts running from the ridge to the eaves, and it looks as if they are still there.
The glass would have been 2 panels in each roof bay the top one overlapping the lower on by about 1/2inch and  sitting on a small metal z-shaped clip to stop it sliding down, both usually held on to the frame with  W-shaped glazing clips. These are fairly cheap to buy at DIY shops. I paid £3/per panel this year for glass, when some of mine were broken in a storm. Keep an eye out on local freecycle sites as you often see spare glass for collection. No luck for me this time as after the storms everyone wanted them *sulk*.
Yes you could mastic some silicone some plastic panels in, but tbh I don't think it would work out much cheaper after you bought plastic and silicone :(
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 21:10 by mumofstig »

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2020, 18:27 »
i tend to agree with Mum that's a good fix as suggested I take it its an aluminium greenhouse you  could  replace the glass with plastic sheets you need to contact your local glazing shop  who supplies this sort of thing or look on line for someone who supplies clear plastic sheets you may have to cut it to size not a problem with a disc cutter the silicone it or glazing clips I have done this in the past and it works

OurAllotment

• Our Allotment Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2021, 20:30 »
Just thought as I had asked, we would let you know of the solution so far. It is our first year of having a greenhouse. So buying glass, prefer toughened would have come in at a cost, and the frame seems t have gone slightly crooked, we have also looked at a new greenhouse but would prefer that at home rather than down the allotment. So we went with a tarpaulin as you can see. tied down with ropes, pegs and milk bottles. This week we have a forecast for gales. take bets for how many allotments down it can travel......
greenhouse roof 2.png
greenhouse roof.png

jezza

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2021, 17:54 »
Hello there should be a rubber strip that runs down each section of the green house that the glass sits on,glass in a green house serves 2 purposes one is to protect plants and keep warmth in the main purpose is for the strength,I'f you put a glass covered greenhouse  and a plastic covered greenhouse in a strong wind the glass one would still be standing, I worked in a 3 acre green house when we had the hurricane in 1987 we lost one pane out of 10,000 and that was because it was cracked,  look on You tube for van-hanagen brothers in Kent they have a new 120 foot span aluminium greenhouse that's held by the glass,no central supports  jezza

OurAllotment

• Our Allotment Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 10:07 »
Thank you for your thoughts Jezza, we are on the top of a hill at our allotment, so wind is going to be a factor. The solution we posted is a temp one. The funny thing is, we are both liable to stumble, I am especially clumsy, so we planned not to have a green house at all. We now funnily enough have 2 as we inherited them with the plot. The one our lass has, seems to have more bodge than glass, but the leaks were more than annoying so hopefully the cover will do it's job.

Our lass especially has looked at green houses, and one with toughened glass which we would prefer especially with me being clumsy, is £500 wouldn't mind spending that if setting it up at home, but not down the allotment.

The other thing being is, just don't know how well anything is going to work, plan is for our lass to grow all the seeds on in her own, and for me to grow our lass tomatoes, as we grew some at home last year and our lass loved the taste, so no pressure this year, but I have to try and replicate the same again. Also for added trials and tribulation I am going to try and grow aubergines as it is one of the rare vegetables that I like as you can make moussaka with them (did I mention we have an allotment and I only really like the taste of potatoes)

I do however like the growing process, it is not to dissimilar to building with lego. Honest there is a correlation.

So this will be our first full year on the plot, we will see what it brings, and then think on about the green house.

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 14:04 »
You've done really well there. As for moussaka, I have a stonking recipe if you want it.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
cheapest green house

Started by veggies on Equipment Shed

15 Replies
Last post March 14, 2010, 19:37
by newatthis
xx
green house heaters

Started by stan deakin on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post December 22, 2011, 21:31
by rowlandwells
xx
green house glass

Started by massa on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post March 23, 2010, 23:02
by compostqueen
xx
green house window

Started by massa on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post May 18, 2010, 22:36
by Trikidiki

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 43 queries.