New to this forum? Not sure how to do things? Check out the help

Hello from Aberdeenshire.

• 5 Replies

WeavingGryphon

Hello from Aberdeenshire.
« on: July 27, 2019, 08:20 »
Hello,
I only just found this site after having realised all my favourite allotment gardening books were by the same person and he had a website! I read samples on my kindle and buy them if I like them so I hadn't realised.

We live in Aberdeenshire and got into growing after realising there was no wildlife in the flat garden so we started planting fruit and flowering bushes. Then we moved and 4 years ago we had our first child who loves fruit so to save money we invested in saving money by buying fruit plants. We then had to move house to the land of gravel and a friend helped us get an allotment to transfer the fruit plants into rather than losing them (sure enough, the new person put everything into gravel) and we've since just picked the fruit. This year we've really started to cultivate. We can't grow potatoes... I've posted a HEEELLLPPP post already.

But from the transferred plants in the allotment we have (in the dead camp) blueberries (awful weather), gogi berries, and a loganberry. We will get more of the latter two.
In the thriving camp summer raspberries-thriving and invading, gooseberries, redcurrants,  whitecurrants, two jostaberries. Finally in the >:( could do better a Tayberry (no fruit, will read up and may move), rhubarb and blackcurrants (big lanky sods with no fruit).
Just planted is Honeyberries and in the soon to be growing we will be getting some Pinkcurrants (Eldest is pink obsessed) and autumn raspberries. We'd also love to get a Victoria plum. We also scrounged some comfrey that was growing wild and was strimmed down. We want to start planting Jerusalem artichokes, yakon and occa.

We got another abandoned plot this summer so we have inherited old mini car sized blackcurrants, an apple tree and a 5 foot 9 Rowan tree that we found amongst the fireweed and nettles! So we're clearing that. Or more accurately I'm clearing it, The Husband is amusing the children by making tea/hot chocoate and cooking sausages on the Kelly Kettle.

We still have a wildlife area which is mostly grass and massive ground moths caterpillers. Sadly the Yellow Rattle didn't take off to kill the sutch grass.

adal

• Man Of the World
Re: Hello from Aberdeenshire.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2019, 09:18 »
Hello WeavingGryphon and a warm welcome to the forum it sounds like you have a farm the best of luck to you and your little one from a wet northeast of uk
Alan :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2019, 15:50 »
Hi and welcome  :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 19:15 »
Hello and welcome to the forum. I am sure you will find plenty of reading material here too!  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 22:14 »
Thank you everyone, sorry for the late acknowledgement, the forum keeps saying I need to talk clean. When I'm actually being clean...

I am sure you will find plenty of reading material here too!  :D

Your spot on with that statement.

Snowpea

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 10:31 »
Hi and welcome to the site.  :)

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 46 queries.