Quality secateurs

• 15 Replies

Weedkillers

Quality secateurs
« on: October 17, 2016, 12:41 »
Morning ALL.
Looking for some quality secateurs
1 pr rachet, and 1 pr bypass.
Any recommendations wouldo be greatfull....
Phil.

Lardman

Re: Quality secateurs
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 13:15 »
I wouldn't be without my felco No 2's but they are on the big and rather expensive side.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 15:22 »
I agree with Sunny.

I've had a pair od fellow for many years, and they are as good now as when they were new, so a very good investment.

They have many different designs.

Weedkillers

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 15:30 »
technically they are for the wife, but that said she isn't a delicate flower.. :blush: :blush: :blush:
if you know what i mean'  i want quality ones after spending £10 on 3 pr over 18 months what have i got to loose...
not heard of FELCO !!

lettice

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 16:14 »
I have both a bypass and an anvil from the Expert 200mm Deluxe Draper range and they are both excellent and very comfortable in the hand.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 16:15 by lettice »

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 20:31 »
I've got a pair of felco's no 7 I think ? for the garden. At the plot I've got a pair of fiskars  & they are very good too.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Weedkillers

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 14:25 »
Thank you all

LILLILEAF

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 06:09 »
When i worked at Roses and shrubs,as our work kit we all got a pair of felco secateurs,they were used day after day,they kept there edge year after year,well worth the money,there are some offers on Amazon at the moment.Well worth the money

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 10:54 »
Another vote for Felcos.  I've got a pair of no.6s that I used day in, day out over a dozen years of nursery and garden centre jobs.  They have been refurbished with new blades and springs several times, but are still going strong  :)

jezza

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 21:14 »
hi try felco 2 I bought my last pair from a Christmas tree and forestry supplies company paid £18.00 should have been £42 blades are available from  garden centres   jezza

I Love Spuds

• Experienced Member
  • AKA Mike.
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 15:10 »
Sorry to drag this thread back up!

I'm thinking of getting some Felco 2's, having read this thread. Silly question; are the handed? I am left handed but tend to use both hands for most things other than writing. On my cheaper pairs they only tend to cut thick stuff properly with my right. The cutter and anvil just separate and don't cut, just jam. So, I am wondering would better quality ones reduce or even overcome this.

Thanks in advance,
Mike.
"Every time I learn something new, it pushes old stuff out of my brain" Homer J Simpson

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2017, 16:05 »
I'm the same as you, left handed, but use my right hand a lot except for writing.  Lefties live in a right handed world, so have to  :lol:

Anyway,  I had to think - do I swap hands with my secatuers  :unsure:  After a short test in the garden, I can confirm that yes I do and my Felcos cut the same whichever hand they are in.  I was cutting some reasonably thick branches on my twisted hazel.

This may be because they are so easy to sharpen.  I'd recommend buying a sharpening stone when you get them and then get into the habit of using it each time you get the secatuers out  :)

I Love Spuds

• Experienced Member
  • AKA Mike.
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2017, 16:26 »
Great, thanks. Amazon seem to have some reduced to 30 odd quid, so i'll be treating myself  :) Seems a good enough deal!

Yes being a lefty does make you a bit ambidextrous. But being a rather slight chap it's handy (excuse the pun!) as when i tire I just swap hands... then back again and so on.  :D I can keep on laboring away.

Rhys

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2017, 22:44 »
I've got a few pairs of secateurs. Had some Sandvik bypass ones for years, as well as a pair of lovely looking offset bypass ones..

I bought these for my mum as she threw her Felco #7's away (she hadn't a clue they could be sharpened or repaired.. Gutted..) though she never got to use them. They are really nice to use, but the blades had to be fettled a bit as they caught each other.

I treated myself to a pair of Felco #10 as I prefer to use snips/secateurs left handed so I have these plus my right handed ones as well.

The swivelling handle isn't necessary and you would save quite a bit if you just want standard handles. I also bought the optional holster as it just clips to your belt.

Felco's can be easily stripped down and cleaned (they come with the tool to undo them, but the locking screw for the blades might need a proper screwdriver).
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothing, so get yourself a sexy raincoat and live a little." - Billy Connolly

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2017, 14:10 »

We bought some secatuers from the Ideal Home Exibish' many many years ago.  There was some form of gearing to them so that when you backed off on the handle another gear ratio came into play (and a third if really needed).  Gone in the mists of time but if anyone recognises this description, please tell as we'd love another pair. :)

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

xx
New Secateurs

Started by alanb on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post February 25, 2010, 10:03
by new_2_veg
xx
Old secateurs...

Started by Growster... on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post August 08, 2011, 21:43
by JayG
xx
cheap-ish secateurs

Started by eli on Equipment Shed

16 Replies
Last post January 01, 2011, 19:51
by Paul Plots
xx
Shine Hai Secateurs

Started by LILLILEAF on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post April 01, 2017, 22:27
by Rhys

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 36 queries.